I shot this poor little bugger on humane grounds today, in my back garden

David TS

I think you can see why :cry:.

It was inside the back garden, which is stock fenced, and then inside our pond electric fence, which is 1.1m high mesh. No idea how on earth it got in there, but luckily for it it did, so it meant I could shoot it and put it out of its misery :cry:.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Well done, poor bugger. Unfortunately that can be the result of any head shot when probably taken side on.

Does that look like someone else trying to take a head shot and f**king it up?

Why hey jump to that assumption? It could have been hit with a glancing blow by a vehicle or anything, who knows, but to instantly assume another stalker did it......don't we have enough negative press in the shooting world without creating it ourselves?

It was in good condition and had good body weight, so whatever happened to it was recent.

Botched shot or dog attack are my most likely guesses :(.

Botched shot isn't necessarily a stalker.

Well done for ending its misery,poor bugger would have probably starved to death or of infection

Nice shot placement by the way.
Cheers :).

I had to wait a while for the shot, it was understandably agitated and wouldn't stay still, constantly moving one way, turning and going back the other way inside the fence.

I was also only around 25 yards away so knew the rifle would shoot low.

Got it with my .243 and a Sako 90gn Gamehead, it dropped on the spot.

So why dont you skin its head and have a proper look see.
Looking a the damage top and botton I would have said glancing blow by car, seen it before.

Fair comment and a very realistic one at that!
Why do some people have to instantly jump to the instant conclusion that a bothced head shots is always to blame?
The shooting community gets enough bad press nowadays without shooters turning against each other and adding even more fuel to the fire on an Internet forum?

So why dont you skin its head and have a proper look see.
Looking a the damage top and botton I would have said glancing blow by car, seen it before.

Well.......I am not a pathologist, plus I am currently undergoing an unpleasant divorce and about to move house.

So, bottom line is I was only interested in putting it out of its misery on welfare grounds, not carrying out a post mortem, for which for the reasons above I don't have the time or inclination.

It's in my wheelie bin though, if you want to pop round and collect it ;).

I see no reason why we should not make the assumption of a poorly placed head shot
I can not see how a glancing blow from a car would remove so much material from the jaw without apparent damage to any other part of the body

Just because it may have been a crap head shot it does not mean it was a "stalker"
But we as stalkers have just as much responsibility to promote awareness of the dangers of poor shot choice as we do to stick together when berated from outside the community.

why must we be so defensive as assume the worst

Looks like any other poorly placed head shot to me...but what do I know...?

I was trying to be constructive, saying if the head was skinned, we would all have a better idea.
However, I will say I used to feed some 50 roe and reds a year to my dogs, all picked up of the road, an awfull lot of them had similer damage!.
I have seen a lot of headshot Deer, some badly shot, none looking like this.
Likewise I have seen a lot of dog savaged and dog caught deer, none were only damaged at the muzzle end, I know where my money would be.

I was trying to be constructive, saying if the head was skinned, we would all have a better idea.
However, I will say I used to feed some 50 roe and reds a year to my dogs, all picked up of the road, an awfull lot of them had similer damage!.
I have seen a lot of headshot Deer, some badly shot, none looking like this.
Likewise I have seen a lot of dog savaged and dog caught deer, none were only damaged at the muzzle end, I know where my money would be.

You may well be right. If a dog, it would more likely be caught at, and damaged at, the rear end, not the mouth.

That and the fact there was no other signs of damage to the muntie.

The only odd thing was that I would have thought if it was a vehicle impact, it would have left the lower jaw hanging by flesh or skin, not have completely removed it.

Something we will never know know the answer to (particularly as the wheelie bin went off yesterday :D).

Back