Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reblue or No? Old Royal, Monarch standard BSA.

Reblue or No? Old Royal, Monarch standard BSA.

This a BSA Royal 243win from 1959 or early Majestic standard. I purchased this rifle for $250.00 just wondering restock and reblue, leave alone, or just reblue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.jpg   007.jpg   009.jpg   010.jpg   015.jpg  

018.jpg   019.jpg  

If it shoot well then reblue (hot salts) and refinish the stock (recut checkering etc). As long as they dont charge and arm and a leg. Perhaps do the sripping and polishing yourself. That's what takes the time = money.
    A classic rifle in 'new' condition.

I have a couple of fine gunsmiths in USA that are very reasonable for all work. MY main guy charges $100.00 for reblue and it is very nice and clean, (done right, right). This man had worked for Weatherby USA. The rifle shoots very well even with a cheap scope. I will upgrade the optics once I figure what is going to be done with it.

I would leave it as it is. It has a lovely old patina of a 60 year old rifle. That would be destroyed by refinishing. Facelifts never look good.

Send the barreled action to be blued, and while it's away, strip and refinish the stock yourself. The alloy trigger guard could do with a touch up as well.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Definitely reblue. You could do a really good job yourself with Brownell's cold blue. Use the Birchwood Casey blue and rust remover first, then polish the metal vigorously by hand with a piece of canvas. You will surprise yourself, and have it done in a day.

I restored a Parker Hale in similar condition (actually worse!)
    I disagree that it needs to look shagged to be a period piece

mine is far from brand new but the refresh makes it look great to back up the shooting great

FWIW I did all the cleaning, polishing and bluing and furniture restoration myself.
    cost a lot less than someone else doing it

rifle restoration project

Dont touch the cold blues they are *****. Hot salts all the way. Believe me if a cold blue worked as well the manufacturers would leap on it. They don't!
    A secret to a good restore job is to keep the lines sharp. Don't round stuff that wasn't rounded and keep the same final grit/finish for all parts. Unless you are an expert don't be tempted to go for the mirror Holland and Holland polish as the technique takes years to perfect.

No disrespect meant, but I wouldn't spend $100 on a BSA, let alone on restoring it..there, said it,,now RUN!
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

I am reading the comments posted and many excellent points. I would not attempt the refinish myself I can replace a part but not perform a high end restoration project. This rifle has such perfect balance, that's why I wonder for one of my sons or wife might use it to hunt with one day. If some one wants to help me post a picture of the full rile I will send you the files, website says to large. I shot this rifle yesterday and it put a 1,1/8th" group, at 100 yards with 100gr Winchester Supreme ammo. I think it can do much better, with upgrading the optics. I will also try different factory ammo and weights, and handloaded shells too.