The .257 Weatherby Magnum

A Guy Out West

I saw .257 WTHBY post on this site the other day and it rekindled my .257 Roy interests. The cartridge itself is a handsome one, looks like an ICBM. I have always wanted one but end up talking my self out of it. The arguments always end with, I already have a .270 Win., why do I need a .257 WYHBY. Below is from the Nosler #7 manual.

.270 Win 100 gr .257 WTHBY 100 gr
3550 fps 3576 fps

110 gr / 120 gr
3503 fps 3402 fps

Heavy guns, expensive brass, more powder burned, long barrel, hard to find ammo. Heck... I still want one.

Last edited:
As if all those factors listed were not enough, once you had one, you would just HAVE to go sheep hunting...$$$$$.
But it would make a heck of a pronghorn or blacktail deer rifle.

As if all those factors listed were not enough, once you had one, you would just HAVE to go sheep hunting...$$$$$.
But it would make a heck of a pronghorn or blacktail deer rifle.

Your shot placement had better be sterling because they are a meat-shredding SOB. I got into a discussion about the 257 WBY last evening. A young man had sold off the Remington 308 he'd had for several years and bought a 257 WBY. He is not only unhappy with the expense, but the cartridge can be finicky to load for. Another guy, the friend I was shooting with, said he got so frustrated loading for his 257 that he e-mailed Norma to ask what the load was that they used when producing factory 257 WBY ammo as it was the only load that shot well in his MkV. He got a response from Norma: MRP powder at about 2 grains over listed max. My friend told this kid that if he'd known he was going to sell his uber-accurate 308 to get a WBY he'd have traded him straight across.~Muir

Last edited:
If I ever did a sheep hunt, it would have to be with the .270. I am a long time fan of that cartridge and of Jack O'Conner. I took my boy's to the Jack O'Conner museum over in Lewiston, last winter. I really enjoyed it, they had some of his and his wife's guns and his best trophies. His wife used a 30/06 on a tiger and an elephant. You should see the sheep heads! .257 Roy, a guy does have to be careful of what he wishes for.

If I ever did a sheep hunt, it would have to be with the .270. I am a long time fan of that cartridge and of Jack O'Conner. I took my boy's to the Jack O'Conner museum over in Lewiston, last winter. I really enjoyed it, they had some of his and his wife's guns and his best trophies. His wife used a 30/06 on a tiger and an elephant. You should see the sheep heads! .257 Roy, a guy does have to be careful of what he wishes for.
Yes, there are a lot of articles written by very experienced hunters, like Craig Boddington, who insist that you must have a .300 Win Mag for that expensive trophy sheep hunt, but I am thinking that if a .30-06, .270 or .280 is losing steam, then you are 100 yards further away than you need to be.

Mrs. O'Connor killed a boatload of big cats, bears, deer, sheep and plains game with the 7x57mm.
The last rifle Jack O'Connor had built was a .280 Remington.

Back