Ammunition case for flying

I was wondering what everyone thought about a Peli 1150 case as an ammunition case to take on a plane.

I understand the rules seem to vary by airport/airline/country so do you think this would cover all bases i.e. small enough to fit inside a suitcase if needed, rugged enough to survive if it had to be checked in separately and big enough to hold, say 100, .308?

There is the smaller Peli 1120, would that be more suitable?

It is going to be used on Easyjet to go to Hungary and on an airline yet to be decided to go to South Africa.

Without seeing them in the flesh it is difficult to gauge so your thoughts/experience would be welcome.

I'm going to get a Peli 1750 for the rifle.

When I went to South Africa last year I flow with South African airways, they allow 23kg of firearms free of charge, and you can take up to 5kg of ammunition but that is part of your hold luggage allowance . Ammunition must be in a metal Lockable box to be separate from your hold luggage. Just a point, make sure you can identify cash box from a distance, as there could be a lot of the same boxes, and you don't want to be given the wrong one. Somehow mine managed to be mislabeled, and I didn't notice it until I got out of the airport.

I've got one of the the Peli 1300's & it looks like you'd get about 150 factory rounds in their original boxes fitted in fairly comfortably.

Ditto that TonyC. We use easyjet all the time for that very reason.
Make sure that you are first in the queue right enough!
Just a warning, getting home from Hungary last time took ages to get through Police checks and things, not just the easyjet bit. Do allow much more time than you might imagine.

When I went to South Africa last year I flow with South African airways, they allow 23kg of firearms free of charge, and you can take up to 5kg of ammunition but that is part of your hold luggage allowance . Ammunition must be in a metal Lockable box to be separate from your hold luggage. Just a point, make sure you can identify cash box from a distance, as there could be a lot of the same boxes, and you don't want to be given the wrong one. Somehow mine managed to be mislabeled, and I didn't notice it until I got out of the airport.

I had previously looked at the South African Airways website and as far as I can see it didn't mention anything about the case needing to be metal, hence my thoughts on the two Peli cases.

Adding firearms to the booking with Easyjet was simple, when you add checked in baggage there is another drop down box for sports equipment and you select what you are taking, sporting firearms being one of the options. I think the fee was £60.

Wizz Air and Ryan Air don't allow firearms on board at all hence going with Easyjet.

I use a small, red, metal, cash box bought from Smiths the stationers but I have never needed more than 44 rounds of 30-06 so would not suit your requirements but the cash boxes do come in larger sizes so could do the trick after all.
I have only travelled as far as the Balkan states so there has been no need for it to travel separately, it goes in my hold luggage.

Back