A question of confidence

Cyres

Well at lastI have my Diavari permanantly attached to the rail on my Howa 1500. Its now sitting in Burris signature Medium rings and about 5 mm clearance to the barrel.

Sorted it two weeks ago and was cloverleafing at 100yds with 87 grn V max.

However post zeroing I noticed that the underneath of the saddle area was touching the rail as the scope was fractionally out of parallel. I slackend the clamp screws and rotated the scope a few degrees to allow clearance. When tightened i expect I now have a couple of thou clearance between the base of the saddle area and the rail so ok.

Then it went wrong. Missed a carrion crow at 120yds. Put it down to me.

Back home gave barrel v good clean as needed it (so I thought)

Last saturday am had a v difficult shot at a fox in long grass of sticks at 280 yds, dialed it in and missed. First shot out of dry clean barrel

Ok it happens. Out Sunday eve lamping with a fellow SD member, clocked a fox at about 100yd, simple side on shot, but missed!!!!

AH said round went low, could not believe it. So off into adjacent field to a huge stack of bales, put target up and tried at 50 yds which should be spot on. Needless to say we were 1" R and 2" low so readjusted.

No further shots.

Got home early last night dowmn to bales, beautiful sunny stilll evening. Set up 100yds. First shot high and left, next two almost in same hole so R 1 click and down 1 click next round went staight through top bull so zero so fine.

So out last night ususing traditional methods, solo lightforce lamp and scope mounted LED torch. First charlie 100yds sitting looking at me. Terminated. Second similar at about 120 yds dead. Then got another 3- 2 of which were taken within millisecs of being on them as they were in rows between thick swath.

So saw 7 shot 5x 5 so pretty happy.

Confidence restorted and by the way Zeiss is awesome lamping scope.

Hope this eve is as productive

D

Glad to hear you got it sorted, David - as you say, confidence is everything, especially if you're shooting off sticks! We're doing quite well - only two more and we'll have equalled last year's total with three and a half months still to go!

This is picture of zero target if i can attach.

Attachments

• 20150907_184655.jpg
    20150907_184655.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 55
I slackend the clamp screws and rotated the scope a few degrees to allow clearance. When tightened i expect I now have a couple of thou clearance between the base of the saddle area and the rail so ok.

Then it went wrong. Missed a carrion crow at 120yds.

D

Hi

I'm not having a 'dig' and apologies in advance if I've misinterpreted the above but at I read it you didn't anticipate the need to re-zero after moving the scope in the mount?

K

Yes i agree a slight senior momment, however as the scope sits inside plastic liners on a burris mount and they were the 0 inserts in effect a few degrees of rotation should not have altered the POA if the scope was aligned, which it should be as it was on a rail. In this case clearly not, however its now spot on.

Sorry difficult to explain but if the scope is correctly aligned to the rings and bore axis then if you rotate it then there should not be a shift in POA as the centre of the scope should not alter.

D

Cyres - The error most probably was due to you fastening the ring caps down not exactly in the same way as previously. The gaps both sides of the caps/base joint must be identical to the previous value - Half a tweak on one side will put the scope line out, resulting in a change in shot fall.
The moral of this tail is "always check the results of any adjustment on a paper target before shooting at live quary". No-one wants to injure an animal & cause suffering. You seem to have got away with it this time.

Ian

It wasn't my intention to beat-up the Op' over this so may we please focus on the positive that is "confidence” has now been “restored".

Cheers

K

Thanks guys never to old to learn esp from ones mistakes. Anyway as per when I was competitively shooting 10 m and bell target confidence is vital. Anyway will have the .204 to play with next week and when I get that sorted its going to be fun, also expensive will need some dedicated NV on it.

Am looking foreward to having a super accurate rifle to put a 8-32x56mm scope on!!!

D

Gravity! When you rotate a scope, obviously the effect of Isaac Newton's apples will be pulling in a different direction than they were before on a scope. Something I learned with my own senior moment. Shooting rabbits with a HMR from a car. All of a sudden, I couldn't hit a thing and couldn't understand why. I had inadvertently started to use the rifle canted a bit to one side, as it was a bit more comfortable, which I guess caused the same effect.

Back