123 grain .308 sako

sean

Anybody using these rounds?If so whats the accuarcy and meat damage like?
CHEERS SEAN

I have used them for about 4 years now. Not wanting to reload, I get a selection of ammunition (with a new rifle) find one that does whats needed and stick to it. I have found this round to be extremely accurate and have not found meat damage to be too bad, but I only stalk Roe.

I used them with my Howa 308 as a trial with a new rifle. The group sizes were pretty much the same as with Federal or Winchester 150s. No idea as to meat damage as I was only shooting paper!

I use them in my personal .308 win at the moment as I bought a large quantity to replace .243 win rnds that I used for work. They seem to be accurate enough and no excessive damage problems. JC

I don't understand the use of such a light bullet in a 30 cal rifle, surely BC and SD is crap? Other than a slightly higher velocity, what does this achieve that couldn't be done with a 150gr bullet.

I don't understand the use of such a light bullet in a 30 cal rifle, surely BC and SD is crap? Other than a slightly higher velocity, what does this achieve that couldn't be done with a 150gr bullet.

I`m with Claret D on this one. The lightest i use in the 30cal is 150grn which can be sent quick enough for most purposes. Dont see the point of paying for all the powder to push along bullet weights better suited to smaller calibres. only my opinion though.
I am of course thinking of my 30cal which is 30.06

Eddie

I discovered some time ago that Sako 123gr Gamehead was by far the sweetest ammunition to shoot through my moderated .308 Tikka M55. It is accurate, consistent, reliable and very effective against Roe and Fallow. Consistent, clean kills at ranges typically 50 - 125m with no meat damage problems given good shot placement. I have not used it yet on Reds or Sika but was visiting some of my family in Argyll recently, when my nephew told me that he and a number of his colleagues now use it to good effect on both (he shoots a Sako 75) under typical hill-stalking conditions, having previously used .308 ammunition in the 150-165gr wieghts for the same job. I guess some of the ballistics experts on here may have some thoughts and I shall be interested to read their comments: I used .308 165gr for years but I am now a firm convert to the Sako 123gr Gamehead, at least for the "woods and fields" stalking that I mostly do ...

I`m with Claret D on this one. The lightest i use in the 30cal is 150grn which can be sent quick enough for most purposes. Dont see the point of paying for all the powder to push along bullet weights better suited to smaller calibres. only my opinion though.
I am of course thinking of my 30cal which is 30.06

Eddie

I would normally agree with you both. Have a cupboard full of rifles and use the optimum bullet weight in each ie; 50grn in .222, 75-85grn in .243, 130grn in .270, 140grn in .275, 165grn in .300wm but I have found that the .308 Win breaks the rules, 150grn should be the best choice but 123-125grn seems to work very well with no down side that I have found yet. I suppose it is just another piece of evidence as to why the .308 is such a good all-rounder. In my experience, most .308's that I have seen will shoot most ammo and still perform. JC

Ok JC i understand where your coming from. I have not owned the 308 myself i must take recognition of all the posts.
It certainly points out that the 308 is one of the great all round calibres.

Just another take on the subject, while i was out with a stalker after big red woodland stags he expressed the opinion that my 150 grn Soft points were not ideal and would opt for something from Barnes around 180grn.

Everybody has opinions its what makes the world go round if you can keep them discussed in a civilised manner.

Cheers
Eddie

I have just started to play with a 30/06, I really intend it to be a travelling gun, rather than a first choice deer gun. I might try and buy some of these bullets to try.

Who makes them, Hornady?

Thanks for the info guys.The reason i am looking at these bullets is that i am just about to order a rpa woodland stalker,with its 16" barrel i figure that the muzzel veolcity will drop so the 123gr rounds will shoot a bit flatter than the 150gr i normaly use.
Thanks sean

Hi Sean,
I use sako 123 gr in my 308 simply because it is the most accurate,my rifle likes them .I use a ssg p1 cut down to 18 inches and it will knock out sub.75 groups all day and if the nut behind the bolt is in form i can get sub .5.As i say my rifle likes them but i wouldn`t go out and buy 200,not all rifles like the same ammo.I have shot hundreds of red deer with this round,and unlike other makes used i have had no probs.
I don`t think damage is excessive

Cheers Hummel

Back