.308 question help

DJM21

hi everyone i've put in for my .308 for you guys that got there .308 did the firearms officer ask you any trick questions when they come to the house ???

It wasnt quite that simple for me and it took receipts from accompanied stalks before I was able to get my own gun for stalking. The only trick questions might be where's your good reason ? If you have deer land, centrefire experience and an FAC you might be ok. However, be prepared for some form of risk qualifying 'mentoring'. It would be helpful to hear how it went ?
Good luck

I applied for 3: 222, 243 and 308. For each I had to give a case that the others did not cover. Arguably the 243 does it all (Fox, small deer, large deer) but I said I needed different bullets for each job and it's not practicable to re-zero.

Should not really be any trick questions, Most important is the Good Reason, Do You have Permissions on which to use is a usual, but even inquiries like emails to check about possible days booked with some reputable companies for days out. If they speak about a mentor which seems to happen a lot in England, ask them what are you supposed to do when your mentor friend is busy doing something else as you cannot always have somebody there to guide you about etc etc but most of all be honest and don't try and BS them as i/you would not like it done to me or yourself. Just Be Yourself....Best of Luck and relax.

ok cheers i have ground with deer on the one farm is covered upto a .243 and the other joining farm is not been checked yet but i have asked for him to check. i have given the FAO all the paper work he has ask for ? i have had my fac for quite a few years not long after coming out of the Armed forces.
but he asked if i have done my dsc 1 - but its not a legal requirement if it was then i would have done before hand.
i'm also a member of BASC to be covered. but if you have any pointers it would be a great help

ok cheers i have ground with deer on the one farm is covered upto a .243 and the other joining farm is not been checked yet but i have asked for him to check. i have given the FAO all the paper work he has ask for ? i have had my fac for quite a few years not long after coming out of the Armed forces.
but he asked if i have done my dsc 1 - but its not a legal requirement if it was then i would have done before hand.
i'm also a member of BASC to be covered. but if you have any pointers it would be a great help

If he has asked you for paperwork* (what kind of paperwork?*) and you have done all that he asks, then there is a good chance that he just wants a talk with you and to see what your like....Being ex forces should have a good bit more stature(respect) than an normal joe bloggs.

cheers Tumbleweed, i gave my FAO letters of permission of land and letters of confirming from the farmer that there are fallow deer on the ground, giving me permission to shoot them.
so im hoping this will be enough ? fingers crossed

i simply asked for one on the condition that i wouldnt be asking for loads more calibres in the near future as i said i just wanted one c/f to do all, i have hmr and lr for the other stuff so 1 big un would be all i needed :)

Similar here. I just asked for 223 for longer range vermin control which was outside the accuracy bounds of HMR, even at 100yds in windy conditions, plus fox and a 308 for deer and target. That's good reason enough. As long as you have the landowner's permission and something from him stating as much, what more good reason can they require? Mentoring is not an acceptable condition any longer and I think that most forces have been advised as such. Just ask where in the Firearms Act or HO guidelines does it state that an applicant is required to be mentored? There are other ways to determine safety and for loads of forces, it seems that DSC1 is now more becoming the "standard". Target club membership will also be good enough reason but not for expanding ammo or use over your permission.

hi everyone i've put in for my .308 for you guys that got there .308 did the firearms officer ask you any trick questions when they come to the house ???

I already had a slot for a .243 for deer, when I asked for advise on a .308 I was told to simply state 'for the larger deer species' on my application.

I have 3 deer legal cals and the reasons are
6.5 + mod = small deer species
308+ mod = larger deer species
270 lightweight hill rifle although it's passed for a mod should I wish
all can be used for fox whilst stalking and on a open ticket for AOLQ
I did have to show permission and receipts for guided stalks on the hill ground thankyou Colin !
You shouldn't have to jump through any hoops but although I was adverse to the dsc1 it does show your willingness to get a form of training and I could see the writing on the wall and got mine and have to admit was well worth the 1 day spent doing the test only it can't hurt can it !!
there is an awful lot of deer shot with the 308 and it would be high on my list to keep if I had to have one one deer cal only
good luck
norma

all can be used for fox whilst stalking and on a open ticket for AOLQ

Does your FAC actually state that in the condition(s) for the rifles you've mentioned? If so, isn't the 'fox whilst stalking' redundant anyway due to AOLQ? I'm trying to get my head around why any FLD would impose the 'fox whilst stalking' nowadays given the clear instruction in the HO Guidance at 13.9 regarding AOLQ:

A certificate holder may shoot any quarry that is lawful (where they are authorised to
shoot). Whilst guidance is provided, it is the responsibility of the shooter and the shooting
community to know what calibre is suitable for which quarry, and when certain quarry
is lawful (including the need to obtain or rely upon a licence from the relevant licensing
authority to permit the shooting of protected species). Once initial “good reason” has been
established for the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for “good reason” to be
demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing the firearms are not
underpowered for the species (see also paragraph 13.17). A cartridge should be capable

of achieving a humane kill, and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that any

excess energy will be absorbed by the backstop. The “any other lawful quarry” condition
(which also covers protected species that the certificate holder is licensed to shoot) should
be applied. If an applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to
do so, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use of conditions
imposed on the individual’s firearm certificate.

No initially a few renewals back they didn't want me to use the deer Cals for foxing as I've 22 Cf's for that but I'd be stalking on shooting estates that wanted the foxs shot so that was the wording stopped me from taking them lamping I guess
Norma

Just one point you said land passed for .243 & other land not yet checked? If this falls below suitable for .308 then you may struggle. From this I'm reading you have a closed ticket? Why not ask for an open ticket then you can shoot whatever calibre you risk assess yourself to be safe?
Wingy

Hi wingy i have an open ticket at the moment and have had for a long time. the one farm is covered upto a .243 but the farm next door i want the .308 on hasnt been checked yet.

Hi wingy i have an open ticket at the moment and have had for a long time. the one farm is covered upto a .243 but the farm next door i want the .308 on hasnt been checked yet.

If your open ticket it wouldn't matter what its been cleared in the past. I have two rifle on my open ticket. .22rf for rabbits and .308 Deer and AOLQ. They limit ground normally due to someones experience, which helps them control what caliber you can have. You could bang a high seat up in instant back stop and normally safe on ground conditions.

End of day good reason is all you need.

Back