Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight of rifle

Weight of rifle

Does anyone take weight into consideration it Never bothered me too much about weight of rifle until I had problems with left arm .im right handed but even so with rifle scope moderator bipod and sling it still comes to 9.8pound . Am I light compared to other set ups or heavy .cheers

I certainly did as I am trailing over hill and dale when I am stalking. I bought a synthetic stock and a light moderator. I dunno what weight it is but I regard it as my "mountain rifle."

Mine is 11 pounds without the bipod and doesn't bother me at all...

heavier rifle helps with recoil on the larger calibre's.

weight of mine not an issue but the mod makes it top heavy which is annoying

Weight is good in a steam roller. Anything else it's just weight. And badly balanced weight is just heavy.

Forgot to add , 11 pounds without the bipod and no mod . And i'm shooting a .270 (obviously unmoderated )

Even if one starts with a very lightweight rifle such as a T3 light at ~2.8kg one can load weight on via heavy scope, heavy mounts, moderator and bipod. Always a good idea to weigh all components and make a decision if each are really needed or the right choice. I prefer a very light stock but don't mind a slightly heavier robust scope. Ultralight moderator is a must. Bipods are really annoying but very useful for a longer shot so it mostly stays on.
    My lightweight rifle is also around 9.9lb with heavy S&B scope, moderator and harris. I found the best way to cope with the weight is to get a rucksack type sling and have swivel studs on the side of the rifle.

My Parker hale Safari in .270 feels quite heavy. I've never bothered weighing it but when I put the bipod and T8 Moderator on it the weight goes up quite significantly and I know all about it when I'm out on foot foxing in the evenings and night - There's nothing worse than coming across a fox at range when you're puffing and panting towards the end of a long hard session and struggling to hold the rifle on a steady aim - Even with shooting sticks!
    I have now been offered a very nice Steyer Mannlicher by the chap that I used to do a lot of culling for as he wants me back on the culling team.
    I believe that I would be a fool to refuse it as it will cost me next to nothing (Maybe even a straight swap for the Parker Hale without moderator) If I do this swap I will be thinking about putting a lighter moderator on it to keep the weight down a little more!

Have a single shot break barrel in heavy calibre, magnaported barrel so no moderator. Very light with scope not even six pounds. Kicks like a mule,but being ancient when walking miles it's a treat to carry. Only firing two or three shots every time out I would rather suffer the abuse it gives me than carry anything heavier.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.