Reloading 22 hornet with vmax 40g heads

spook

im reloading my 22 hornet with 40g vmax heads. the hornady manual states the c.o.l is 1810 the best i can get the c.o.l down to is 1830, i am using lee dies.cases are trimmed to 1393, can any one recommend dies the will take the c.o.l down to the recomended length any help appreciated.

I have found my .22 Hornet to be very forgiving and unfussy regarding bullet seating depth. Long and short make little difference in velocity and accuracy.
However it is very fussy when it comes to fitting in the magazine and feeding properly.

If you make up a dummy round and it fits the magazine and loads ok, then make up another two and try them for proper feeding. If they load freely, then I would not worry about the overall length.

A very small difference in overall length makes for free feed or a stuff-up in my rifle, which is a BSA.

I'm sorry I can't help regarding the die setting as my Lee die will set the bullets as deep as I wish, so I am not able to relate to that issue.
Hopefully Muir will be along to answer that one for you.

change or modify the shell holder to a slimmer one or (heaven forbid) grind a bit off the base of the die.

I did the latter on my Lee .222 seater, it was only a problem with Amax as they were quite pointy

the alternative is fill the seater pin void with epoxy and them reshape to accommodate that bullet

So, with the locking nut backed-up all the way you cannot screw the die in far enough to provide the desired seating depth?

If this is the case and the die is not already hitting the shell holder when ram is fully raised, try using a thinner locking nut (from another die?) or file the Lee one down until you get the required extra downward movement. Refer to the above post as an alternative or if shell holder already makes contact with die when ram fully raised.

Very strange.

K

Last edited:
So, with the locking nut backed-up all the way you cannot screw the die in far enough to provide the desired seating depth?

If this is the case and the die is not already hitting the shell holder when ram is fully raised, try using a thinner locking nut (from another die?) or file the Lee one down until you get the required extra downward movement. Refer to the above post as an alternative or if shell holder already makes contact with die when ram fully raised.

Very strange.

K

its not the depth of the die in the press
mine did the same
its the profile of the seater pin allowing the shorter VMax tips to go in too far and the die bottoms out on the shell holder

as the seater pin is at its max depth and the case can't physically go into the die any further you really only have two choices

1) get the case in further (thinner shell holder or remove material from die)
or
2) tweak seater pin so it doesnt have to go in further (epoxy)

or 3)...change to a Soft Point!

its not the depth of the die in the press
mine did the same
its the profile of the seater pin allowing the shorter VMax tips to go in too far and the die bottoms out on the shell holder

as the seater pin is at its max depth and the case can't physically go into the die any further you really only have two choices

1) get the case in further (thinner shell holder or remove material from die)
or
2) tweak seater pin so it doesnt have to go in further (epoxy)

or 3)...change to a Soft Point!

Or purchase a decent die with the added bonus of a floating seater guide!
192817.jpg

K
:D

spook doesn't like the word purchase, if it didn't come out of a skip he doesn't want it.

Back