Keeping rainwater out of moderators

Tackleberry270

Got in this morning and tipped a fair bit of water out of my moderator. Probably would not have been that healthy to have fired the rifle. Done various things with previous rifles with varying success. What do people do to keep the water out? I'm not a fair weather stalker so staying indoors is not an option. Carry muzzle down so the traditional methods are also out. Any ideas?

Gralloching glove over the end. Works up here in the snow. Electrical tape is also used if you have a roll handy over the hole in which the water is ingressing.

How / where is the water getting in to the moderator if you are carrying it muzzle down?

Are you carrying the rifle empty chamber, bolt open?

Maybe you could consider changing habit to carrying it muzzle up with a bit of insulting tape across when it is actually raining...

I usually carry muzzle down with tape applied in case I touch the muzzle against the ground when ducking under stuff. The moderator has never been wet on the inside that I have noticed.

Alan

Muzzle down. I think most of the suggestions so far would make it worse plugging the only drainage hole!

how do you get rain in when muzzle down?? what kind of moderator is it? Should be watertight at the threads and gas tight from there until the exit hole. You have me puzzled

gas tight/watertight - I'm not so sure. A ase jet z. The water collects in it. I will be trialling a fix over the next few days. The many uses of innertube.

Condom over the end does the job but you can get some strange looks, over the barrel that is!

+1 They have no effect on the shot and make a great seal... If you go to condoms.co.uk you can get the Trojan non lubed veriety which don't leave a slimy mess on your mod!!! Sadly they no longer do teatless non lubed so you will have to put up with a teat... to be honest, you cant really see it!

If water is running down the barrel into the mod an o ring would work, it cant get into your barrel from that end of the mod

Back