.243 Ballistic Tip Loads

Harry mac

Well, I had a good session at the range yesterday testing out some 243 Win, Nosler 95grn B.T./N160 loads.
The powder charges went from 43 to 47 grains in 1 grain steps.
Groups of 3 shots were fired, and to allow the rifle to cool a bit between groups I'd fire 10 shots with my 303 and walk down range and back between groups.
My first group was a "control" group fired using my current load of a 100grn Hornady BTSP bullet over 42grn H4831. All 3 shots snugged into the black of a 10m air pistol target, slightly left of centre, at 100m so I was happy with that.
My first test group printed right at 1" and exhibited 2 touching and one away.
The next group showed 3 shots all touching and I allowed myself to smile broadly:D.
Out of the 5 groups fired, only 1 exceeded 1.5", but the 44grn load was by far the best. Needless to say, when my current stock of 100grn loads runs out, I already have the replacement load sorted.
The last thing I did was apply two clicks of right windage to the scope and fire a further 3 shot group with the 100grn load into the 10m air pistol target. Job done.

Those nosler BT certainly fligh well... I use the 90grn ones with 39 grn H380 & remmy brass/primer loaded to 68.5mm o/a length and get nice tight groups.

Leon

Update. After seeing a load on here by Devilishdave I tried it yesterday. 42gn Viht 160 under the 95gn SST's gave ne touching hole groups at 100 yards. A bit better than the 44gn I was using.

I know NOTHING about reloading (someone else buys my bullets) so please dont take my post as sarcasm BUT why do you feel the need to develop another round when your control round is shooting tight enough?

I know NOTHING about reloading (someone else buys my bullets) so please dont take my post as sarcasm BUT why do you feel the need to develop another round when your control round is shooting tight enough?

Supply of reloading components can be hit and miss (pardon the pun) at times and I like to have a back-up plan for if and when my prefered components are not available.
I also just like to tinker and shoot.

Just to throw you a curved ball N560 also works well in the .243

In that case, does N-550 work well too? It appears on the viht burn rate table as being similar to Re19.

Do the high energy (N500) powders need to be almost a full case? Otherwise you would be as well using an N100 series I imagine.

Can't comment on the N550 I'm afraid, . There are no full or compressed loads with N560 and it works very well .

i have been using Hornady V-Max Bullets BT with 37grn varget and group well. started at 35 and went up with 37 showing the best results (Im not a target shooter though)

Back