versapod spike

bewsher500

anyone fitted one to a non-factory option rifle?

I mean having the spike or the female socket in the tip of the fore-end?

I have a parker hale style handstop adaptor but it is a big old unit and mounts the thing too low

Provided you could align the drill correctly so it was nice and straight to the bore and stock then it's just a case of epoxy to fit it. It would then give the best, lowest and strongest mounting option. Not sure it's a job for me and my Makita though!

Provided you could align the drill correctly so it was nice and straight to the bore and stock then it's just a case of epoxy to fit it. It would then give the best, lowest and strongest mounting option. Not sure it's a job for me and my Makita though!

pretty sure I could build a jig to line it all up and cut straight into the curved tip
just found this too:

150-108__53905.1384274347.451.416.jpg

but I ain't paying that much for a metal spike I could make for a quid!

my worry is the splitting pressure applied to the stock.
Am thinking a female socket or even mounting the spike into a close fitting sleeve would alleviate that.

pretty sure I could build a jig to line it all up and cut straight into the curved tip
just found this too:

150-108__53905.1384274347.451.416.jpg

but I ain't paying that much for a metal spike I could make for a quid!

my worry is the splitting pressure applied to the stock.
Am thinking a female socket or even mounting the spike into a close fitting sleeve would alleviate that.

Wouldnt the pressure still be applied the same, but just via the sleeve?

I would imagine the problem if you are fitting in to end grain is of a bit of movement in the wood when it shrinks or expands with humidity in the atmosphere. If your female socket went into a slightly over sized hole you could bond it with a flexible adhesive like bathroom sealant. The wood could move as it needed to without the worry of splitting.

Alan

Wouldnt the pressure still be applied the same, but just via the sleeve?

I would imagine the problem if you are fitting in to end grain is of a bit of movement in the wood when it shrinks or expands with humidity in the atmosphere. If your female socket went into a slightly over sized hole you could bond it with a flexible adhesive like bathroom sealant. The wood could move as it needed to without the worry of splitting.

Alan

And act a bit like a shock absorber maybe when firing??

Made one, blacked it and fitted into a stock with epoxy. no 'stress' no movement either. Nice low mount!

And act a bit like a shock absorber maybe when firing??

I guess it could attenuate a little, but I was thinking purely from the wood movement perspective.

Walnut is relatively inert but it still can move. If it tries to shrink around a steel pin something has got to give and will not be the pin. It is one of the reasons I would imagine that the sling studs tend to be fixed into the side grain of fore end and stock rather than the end grain. The end of the fore end is a fine fixing point for a synthetic stock.

Alan

Pretty much as per the earlier picture except the drill n tap for sling swivel stud.
You need a little clearance for the epoxy resin so that you get a stress free bond to the wood.

I did it with a pistol drill, just be sure to mark up correctly and hold the stock securely a pilot drill will help...

I did it with a pistol drill, just be sure to mark up correctly and hold the stock securely a pilot drill will help...

I'm not 100% confident that I would drill the hole exactly perpendicular to the stock/barrel on both axis. Nothing worse than doing it to save some cash and then having it slightly crooked!

The good thing is that there are quite a few different bipods that use the same style spigot so you're not limiting your selection.

Back