calipers

drummerboy

Guys, dropped my calipers last night, they were a cheap set from maplins, just going to buy new, any views on best value for money for a good set?
Regards Neil

Go Mitutoyo or Tesa - last you for life - I've had my Tesa combination set (0-30mm digi mic - 0-150mm caliper) for just over 20 years and they've not missed a beat.

Mind you, I haven't dropped them!

If you are looking at budget digital ones, do search for and buy those with auto power off. They are all in the £20 area.

When I could no longer read my vernier Mitutoyos without glasses, I bought some digital ones. But between me and my assistant leaving them on (I blamed him, and he blamed me) every time I opened the box they had a flat battery.

Alan

Last edited:
I have these, very well made & no plastic bits!
$%28KGrHqV,%21jME-dJ0RBl%21BP6h-lRIbQ%7E%7E60_1.JPG

[h=4]6" / 150mm Digital Vernier Calipers (Large Display) ALL STAINLESS STEEL CE[/h]
Item price£ 16.98
Quantity1
Item number350393554107

I have Brown and Sharp, Starrett, Mitutoyo, but for reloading and most work, the iGaging OriginGauge 6-inch digital 0.0001 resolution is a bargain for $ $38.00 USD.

Have a look at Cromwell tools own brand "Kennedy" they are actually Mitutoyo with a Kennedy name stamp on them but at around a third cheaper then Mitutoyos.

Ian.

No matter what you choose always double check your measurements when changing calipers (or any of your gear for that matter).

A visiting friend of mine was trying to reload to his own readings using my gear, all the measurements to the ogive were different to what he normally gets, even though we use the same dies.
When I checked the new readings against one of his made up rounds they were the same, but it panicked him a little before we thought to do the comparison.

Back