New rifle

danmoore2k

Want a new rifle in 30-06 Started off looking at a tikka but am now looking at a sauer 101 classic xt/ mauser m12 extreme or maby stretch to a 202 classic xt. I have a 202 in 243 was just wondering about the 101 vs m12. Any thoughts about rifles not caliber!!

The Sauer 101 has a friction fit barrel, so very difficult to rebuild off the action if you want to. This is also likely to have an effect on re-sale value as they are, in effect, disposable.

Not sure about the M12. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same. That seems to be the trend these days.

I had a Tikka T3 Lite SS in .30-06, which I won in a drawing ( wanted a .270 Win ), and it was a great rifle. I finally sold it to a friend who was filling all his mule deer and elk tags with it. I would have kept it, had I not owned about a dozen other .30-06s. The T3 was really accurate with everything, and especially the Hornady and Sierra 165 and 180 gr loads for my other rifles. I didn't notice the recoil, which is surprising for a rifle weighing 7 lbs with scope and loaded.

I have a Sauer 200 in .308 and love it, too.

For the .30-06, get a 22 or 24-inch barrel and don't chop it. It is just a matter of your taste, but I like my Steyr M, older Rem 700s, Win M-70 and 1903 Springfields. Some of them are hefty, some lighter. Just pick a rifle for your style of hunting; the .30-06 has enough loads to accommodate anything from a Sako Stutzen to a Winchester 1885 single shot with a 28-inch barrel.

Back