22 WMR. Excess powder in chamber

Overlay

Hi guys

Hornady. .22. WMR 30 Grn BT rounds

Have a problem with excessive residue post firing a few rounds off in the lands and bolt area of the rifle causing bolt tightness and the blocking of the bolt hole

fired 47 rounds last night had to strip and clean the rifle 5 times to get it to work properly with ease every time, stripped down and cleaned the moderator, it is unspent powder I changed to a different Ammo batch and re checked zero, the same problem, the round isn't under performing but the residue is a real pain, I clear any oil from the rifle before using and it is spot on clean throughout

anyone got the same or had a problem and solved it. !!!!!

any advice greatly appreciated before I get the .222 out And put this one in the sin bin

cheers

Phil

From experience a 17 inch tube will have some unburnt powder left in the mod after use, but never enough to cause a problem.
I'd have to say it's ammo related, have you tried other makes and also is this a new rifle to you, or just a new problem ?

Neil. :)

Hi Neil
i have 3 HW 60 j. LR. WMR. .222. All faultless. Except for this excess powder in the WMR. Never had a problem. I buy a 500 batch of Ammo at a time to minimise any load problems just started a new batch and had a another new batch in reserve both of these batches have thrown out this rubbish. I've just stripped the rifle down into bits and it is smothered. I've probably put 1500 rounds from new in January 2015 and not a problem until now.

its got a A Tec segmented mod on it, just going to strip that down again to see what's in that

The round suits the rifle 100% it's sub .75 of inch at a 100 yds

i guess it's time to get some different ammo in the morning and try that.

Hi Neil
i have 3 HW 60 j. LR. WMR. .222. All faultless. Except for this excess powder in the WMR. Never had a problem. I buy a 500 batch of Ammo at a time to minimise any load problems just started a new batch and had a another new batch in reserve both of these batches have thrown out this rubbish. I've just stripped the rifle down into bits and it is smothered. I've probably put 1500 rounds from new in January 2015 and not a problem until now.

its got a A Tec segmented mod on it, just going to strip that down again to see what's in that

The round suits the rifle 100% it's sub .75 of inch at a 100 yds

i guess it's time to get some different ammo in the morning and try that.

You've answered your own question. Post the LOT number from the box(es) and ask if anyone has any experience with that LOT. If nothing else, they can avoid it.~Muir

How does the residue get into the chamber in a bolt action?
surely it is sealed by the empty case?

ditch that ammo imo

How does the residue get into the chamber in a bolt action?
surely it is sealed by the empty case?

ditch that ammo imo

Un-noticed squib round, eject case, unburnt powder falls into action, next round clears the last bullet ??

Neil. :)

Hi guys
put some Remington and cci rounds through it this morning. No residue whatsoever. . ???
I have sent hornady an e mail outlining the problem

hopefully will get a response.

Will post batch the numbers when I get home later for comparison not had the problem before with other batches

Cheers

phil

Back