Wearing varifocal glasses while stalking

stratts

I had an eye test last week and I now need glasses for driving/distance and reading, albeit only a slight prescription. It's just enough to be annoying and due to astigmatism in one eye I can't wear contacts as they are uncomfortable.

I'm trying to weigh up whether varifocals would be better or to get two pairs, but this would mean more expense as I also want some prescription sunglasses or for them to be tinted.

Any experience of wearing varifocal glasses while stalking? I can't imagine it'll be easy looking through bins with those lenses,

Cheers

Stratts

I had an eye test last week and I now need glasses for driving/distance and reading, albeit only a slight prescription. It's just enough to be annoying and due to astigmatism in one eye I can't wear contacts as they are uncomfortable.

I'm trying to weigh up whether varifocals would be better or to get two pairs, but this would mean more expense as I also want some prescription sunglasses or for them to be tinted.

Any experience of wearing varifocal glasses while stalking? I can't imagine it'll be easy looking through bins with those lenses,

Cheers

Stratts

I've worn specs since I started school. I've had varifocals for about 10 years. I cycled to Boots to collect my first pair of varifocals and then cycled home. I'd love not to wear specs, but these varifocals work fine.

Regards

JCS

I wear them 90% of the time. When I remember I change for stalking. Sighting etc is no problem. Notable stalks taken wearing them inc my gold. However it is a ground problem. Looking down is distorted due to looking through the reading section so trip hazards are the more common problem. They can get a bit of getting used to.

Stratts Varifoc als great for everyday but crap for rifle shooting and shotgun. Noticed it first on clays - if you swing the gun looking through varifocals you get a kind of shuttering effect. You might get a deal where standard lens on a second pair are at a good offer price.

I've been wondering about this recently. The diagrams they have at tesco explaining the different grades of varifocals are difficult to explain - rather like a wasp wasted woman with upper section distance and lower section near. I was surprised how much of the lens is of no use which I think would not work for us because we want peripheral vision. My big problem with prescription glasses for shooting is that because I'm used to my astigmatism, when it is corrected the cross-hairs look wonky so I worry about cant.

I also wonder if anti-glare coatings will improve light transmission or not.

I have done all right having glasses made on-line, but only done it once so far.

Let us know how you get on.

GH

Astigmatism and varifocals. I tick those boxes. The only time I'm really I'm really aware of the varifocals is when shooting at paper - then either the target or the crosshairs are mildly blurred which no amount of adjustment of scope or head will cure. Through some wonderful freak of nature it disappears when presented with fur!
The key board on the laptop is no problem to view but the screen itself requires a certain amount of head movement.

Ion

Thanks guys I might try a pair of those cheapy reading glasses 1st as I will only use them at home when reading in bed and if they are ok I'll stick to standard distance ones for stalking. I have noticed lately that at last light I struggle to focus so I think the glasses will help but I'm not looking forward to stalking in them tbh!

Ive worn varifocals for 20ish years nearest thing to normal vision but they do take a ittle getting used to if going from bifocals the trick is to look through centre of lens if you only have a light prescription they should be easy to get used to good luck Dave

Stratts,

You "choose" the balance between upper and lower on the varifocal.
You use your neck to move between focus, not your eyeball.

Use a proper Optician for your test and explain all your "peculiar" needs. He will then advise on how to get the best prescription. You then shop around with "your" prescription.

Learn that then it's simples....

I've found no problem on both Shotgun and Rifle.
Once you start wearing spectacles you will need to reconsider your cheek weld and eye relief on the scope.
May or may not need tweaking.

Stan

Hi Stratts, I had my eyes laser corrected for astigmatism and myopia after wearing glasses since the age of ten. Now over 10 years since that procedure and with the onset of middle age, the astigmatism has returned with some long-sightedness - the doctor told me it would. Before my eyes noticeably changed and quite unintentionally both my binos (Leica) and scope (Swaro) have eye piece diopter adjustments. For my mild prescription, I can adjust the eye piece on my scope so I can clearly see the cross-hair and everything else is fine. Not sure what set-up you have but this works for me and I do not feel the need to wear glasses for target shooting or hunting. Maybe it is a feature you had ignored in the past?

I also bought varifocal and light sensitive lens for driving and have tried them for hunting. I do not like to walk around with them. Looking down is out of focus unless I crane my neck to look out of the top of the lens. Shifting them down my nose, is either aggravating when I go to mount the rifle or they need to be adjusted to not fall off. The tinting is never completely dark. But they are great for driving if I have to use my Satnav, change music settings etc.- probably more so at night. Hope this helps.

Went to SS bought their dearest set of varifocals. Have worn them for over five years and do everything in them stalk, punch paper etc no problems whatsover. Embrace your autumn years and get used to it as it aint gonna get better lol Nor is your eyesight.

Went to SS bought their dearest set of varifocals. Have worn them for over five years and do everything in them stalk, punch paper etc no problems whatsover. Embrace your autumn years and get used to it as it aint gonna get better lol Nor is your eyesight.

But I'm only 21!!

Mike,
That's why I could only shoot the moving deer well as I didn't need to focus on it!!

I've used varifocals for years, never found them to be a problem when shooting. It's essential to have the specs fitting perfectly, if they slip down at all you can get some distortion.

Hi I have varifocals for the past three years. Find them no problems in normal daily use, but cant use them for shooting apart from my ns200 then there great.
My vision was getting worse around three weeks ago my right eye was all shaded, went to optician for check up (free in Scotland) only to be told I have a cataract, and been referred to eye hospital for removal. If only I went for laser treatment a couple year's ago when they said I was suitable for it. I Sh## myself and never had it done. I would not have a cataract today if I had laser treatment.
So Stratts if I were you I would go for laser correction then you will never get cataracts later on.
Jim

I have worn glasses all my life and varrifocals for 5 or so years. I must say when shooting I wear single vision specs which I find better for me, esp when we are lamping at night. If I need to do anything close up then take them off and I am fine. I do wear contacts at times, but have to have a pair of reading glasses for close up stuff, bit critical when gralloching a beast, best to be able to see what you are doing.

I do find contacts handy on the rare occassions i have to go out and its heavy rain, otherwise single vision specs for me and easier to use bins with.

D

Don't know your age Stratts but my opinion is that prescription glasses ruin your eyesight. I wore glasses for years but got checked for cataracts (being ancient).
Just had second eye done at Edith Cavell,WOW can't believe it, 20+ years of glasses,now don't need any,vision set for 80 metres but what a difference. Consultant you want is George Voyatsis,brilliant can see both long and short distance,especially in low light conditions and colours are wonderful again..

My son is an eye surgeon and says everyone gets cataracts as they age. Most people cope until deterioration in sight becomes too noticeable and they need surgery.
Nowadays with modern equipment and techniques, surgery is no longer the big deal it once was, and pretty effective with high success rate.

I agree that wearing glasses weakens your eyesight. I have to wear glasses now for reading, and I do a lot of reading and computer work ( R&D engineer ).

As others have said, the variable lenses will work great for you now, because the prescription is mild. But as it becomes stronger, and the different corrections across the lense, you get distortion in your peripheral vision as you move your head. A cheap pair of single prescription glasses will work for hunting and shooting iron sights.

My situation sounds about the same as yours stratts, just a slight need?
Definitely needed glasses for reading for the last 30 years, very mild prescription.

Told needed them for driving but can still see the standard test distance without glasses quite easily.

The varifocals are not as good for reading as single vision but are ok and do slightly sharpen mid/long distance.

Find it easier to take off for glassing and scope use as find I bump the eyepieces faffing about but then drop them usually.

Find it difficult to drive in them after dark but otherwise fine.

The sun dim element usually works fine.

The anti glare coating, not sure about that as seems to make them smear more easily somehow.

Been told ASDA only do one type of vari lens, the top one and seem to get all of the extras thrown in same price? Must be worth a look compated to SS prices?

om

Back