Optical quality of Swaro models

Having used 1.5-6 and 6x scopes for a lifetime I find my eyes could do with a bit of help :(

This means I'm in the market for a higher power variable. In my absence from the quality scope scene I realise that things have moved on somewhat not least the massive number of different models! Time was I'd have just bought a Swaro PV safe in the knowledge it was the best they did.

Now?

I don't want a Z6 - forgive me the thing looks like an alien, has a huge occular and I don't need 6x zoom. I'd be interested in a Z4 3-12x50 but I wonder what the difference is in the coatings for low light. Is there any reference to this in their literature?

Failing that I'm also interested in the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 but the very short length makes it hard to mount on my long action rifle :cry:

Adam, hope you are well old boy.

For me useful hunting scopes fall in the 2.5-10x42 to 2-12x50 range, and I currently use one of each. The 42 is Swaro PV, the other is a non IR Z6. Both are excellent scopes and more than good enough for any stalking. I'm sure an equivalent Zeiss would be excellent.

The Z4 I'm told is really just a PV with Z series glass. Might be perfect.

The arms rush to mega scopes is just silly.

In similar circumstances I recently got a secondhand Z6 1.7-10x42 & couldn't be happier. I can use the 10x for zeroing & perhaps a very long shot but find it sit's on 4x most of the time. Get an un-illuminated one & it looks like a normal scope; it's the illuminated ones that are plug-ugly.

Brian -good to hear you - how's that 260?

Z4 sounds perfect.

Now if only reticle 4 was available. Who decided 4a should be the default - must have been a fox shooter (or the marketing department deciding a thin 4a would get more people to buy illuminated)

I don't think anything like z4 is available you can get z4i illuminated reticle only and it is very much like older series and being x4 zoom better in low light than newer z6i. I saw the z4i series at discount prices some time ago so maybe they are going to stop making it. ?

Having used 1.5-6 and 6x scopes for a lifetime I find my eyes could do with a bit of help :(

This means I'm in the market for a higher power variable. In my absence from the quality scope scene I realise that things have moved on somewhat not least the massive number of different models! Time was I'd have just bought a Swaro PV safe in the knowledge it was the best they did.

Now?

I don't want a Z6 - forgive me the thing looks like an alien, has a huge occular and I don't need 6x zoom. I'd be interested in a Z4 3-12x50 but I wonder what the difference is in the coatings for low light. Is there any reference to this in their literature?

Failing that I'm also interested in the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 but the very short length makes it hard to mount on my long action rifle :cry:

One of the best scopes on the market right here if you're looking for quality and a classic look in a variable - DOCTER®classic 2,5-10x48- Docter

Doctor's are just as good as swaro if not better and have classic looks with a realistic price tag

Back