firearm renewal

mickjgardner

My firearms is up for renewal in september nad my shotgun in july.I have asked and been sent a temporary certificate for my shotgun to run till my firearms expires so i can renew both at same time
My question is that,with the renewals bieng sent out 4 mths in advance now to allow time for them to be processed without them running out,can i just send a photocopy of my certificates in with the renewal rather than the original.If i cant it means i will have up to 4 months with no certificates so wont be able to buy ammo etc

i think it does request the originals are sent in with the application, in that case photocopies will not do the job. all you can do is stock up on ammunition now and go steady on it for the 4 months you will be without your certificates. its a pain in the ass but i am at least greatful that it is only occouring once every five years now rather than once every three.

Skipp.

"Can i just send a photocopy of my certificates in with the renewal rather than the original..If i cant it means i will have up to 4 months with no certificates so wont be able to buy ammo etc"

Last October that is what I did for that very reason. I received the new FAC two days after the old one expired in December.

"Can i just send a photocopy of my certificates in with the renewal rather than the original..If i cant it means i will have up to 4 months with no certificates so wont be able to buy ammo etc"

Last October that is what I did for that very reason. I received the new FAC two days after the old one expired in December.

Since when did you send in your old certificate when it was up for renewal. they just notify you in writing that your current one is up and either send the necessary papers or direct you to their website to down load the application you keep possesion at all times of the certificate then destroy it when your new one arrives

Just received my renewal notification today and the accompanying guidance notes state the following:-

"Enclose your expiring Firearm and Shot Gun Certificates. The expiring certificates, should they be required for travel etc., will be returned to you if requested. Alternatively you may submit a photocopy of the expiring certificates(all pages)"

This note is applied to applications for Firearm applications, shotgun applications and co-terminus applications.

cant remember now,was 5 years ago but sure i have always sent old one in, havent got any old ones at home anyway.will have to wait and see what it says

Just received my renewal notification today and the accompanying guidance notes state the following:-

"Enclose your expiring Firearm and Shot Gun Certificates. The expiring certificates, should they be required for travel etc., will be returned to you if requested. Alternatively you may submit a photocopy of the expiring certificates(all pages)"

This note is applied to applications for Firearm applications, shotgun applications and co-terminus applications.

That clause imposed most certainly does not apply in North Yorkshire and I question the legality of the statement

Funny enough my firearms officer phoned me today and i can submit a copy as long as the ammo page is included as well.He called me to put my mind at rest about another question i asked on here.He read the post and worked out it was me so phoned me.He is also a member and shooting man and enjoys the forum as well.Thats what i call service

Hi. I have just sent my firearms certificate in for renewal also, can I still go out and use my rifles whilst not having my original certificate?

cheers

I had this problem once a long time ago but is now sorted.
My FC expires on the 3rd of January and because of Christmas and new year the renewal process starts around the end of October:rolleyes:
I also start my annual Driven Boar trips to Europe in November so need my FC at various border points.
As I have started planning for this Season and it is next January my FC is due for renewal so thought I'd better just check the renewal procedure.
I spoke to a very nice man at Wiltshire Police HQ and explained my situation and he told me that in my case I can start the renewal procedure, which will start in November, and retain my current FC until my new one is delivered to me.
He said there is a note to that effect from the last renewal!!!
So it seems that if you explain the reason for retention until the last minute they will accomodate you:D

Back