Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home loads ,factory ammo

home loads ,factory ammo

Bit of advice here please as i don,t homeload myself,is there a way of telling between factory loads and homeloads if they both look the same in boxes,reason being i purchased a100 rounds of 17 hornet rounds off somebody on a forum and took a box out with me today to zero the rifle,fired off a couple of rounds they where fine took the next shot it was as if the round exploded in the barrel so i ejected the case and i noticed a big split down the side.Could it be just one dodgy round because i know theres been problems with hornady rounds in 17hmr splitting.Find it a bit dodgy know using those rounds,bad enogh in rimfire not alone a c/f.

Very unusual to reload .17HMR, but there have been several reports from people on this forum who have experienced split cases/necks on the round. Quite a lot of chat about the diminishing quality of .17HMR ammo.

Only had one problem myself, chambered a round, didn't fire, un chambered and it came out without the bullet in the case, stuck in the lands. On closer inspection found that the neck of the cartridge was split which had allowed the bullet to get jammed in the lands due to lack of neck tension.

Got to be a bit careful I think, I know I am now.

***sorry, just reread the post and see you are on 17 Hornet. No experience of this I'm afraid***
    So much to learn and so little time left

I would just get rid of them regardless. Not worth the risk bobby in my opinion.
    Buy some fresh factory ammo and at least you are sure of what they are then.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    In a word, no, and yes. If you are lucky pull a bullet. On new ammo the inside of the case will be totally bright and shiny new. But that will also be the same on ammo homeloaded into new unfired cases of course!

So if that is how it appears next is stage two. Now weight the powder charge and then email the maker whose headstamp is on the base of the rounds with pictures of the case base and primer, the powder and the bullet showing the bullet side on so as to show the base. Also decap the live primer and make a picture of it to show the anvil and the colour of the prinimg compound.

FWIW some may argue that maybe it is illegal under CIP to sell ammunition that you have loaded unless it has been tested (or rather batch tested and given batch approval) at a Proof House.

You may get an email back saying that the powder does not appear to be either the same weight or the same appearance as the factory uses. And not the primers we use!

On larger centrefire rounds there is usually a tell tale very very feint collar just above the ejector groove where the case has been resized as the die will always somehow "dull" the case in contrast to the area below the collar. However if the cases are tumbled before loading maybe no so.

A split down the side is usually an incompatibility between the case and the chamber and that the chamber exceeds the elasticity of the case. Excess pressure won't do that but instead show different signs such as a loose primer pocket and lateral expansion at the area just above the case head as the case head becomes squashed followed by separation of the case head from the case body in a all around radial shear.

Sounds to me that you may have a distorted chamber if the split is lengthwise.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 25-09-2015 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    ....snip... i purchased a100 rounds of 17 hornet rounds off somebody on a forum... snip....
    Did he sell them as factory rounds? Explain the situation and ask him to confirm with a copy of the purchase receipt, and then you can contact the original shop...

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Bit of advice here please as i don,t homeload myself,is there a way of telling between factory loads and homeloads if they both look the same in boxes,reason being i purchased a100 rounds of 17 hornet rounds

yes there is
    measure the OAL
    post up a pic
    look at the primers
    look at the cases
    all sorts of things that might be a give away

that said if you use remington primers in remington cases with remington bullets and load them to spec OAL you might be stuffed to see the difference!

post some pics of side on and end on

Everyone is overlooking the obvious. Home loads or factory ammo, longitudinal splits in cases are 99.9999% of the time due to faulty brass. Hornady had a run of factory ammo at production onset that was splitting cases. One of our club members bought a CZ and a case of ammunition and he leaves the occasional split case on the range.~Muir

I'd agree with Muir on this. A 'faulty' handload wouldn't produce a longitudinal case-split. That's a brass and/or case-drawing quality issue. You say you bought them Bobby? It's illegal to sell handloaded ammunition and if it came from a gunshop, you can be 99.9% certain it's a factory cartridge. It's actually a bit of a problem now for RFDs, the number of handloads received alongside traded-in rifles as well as absolutely ancient battered and dirty part-boxes of factory ammo in certain calibres.

You have to be a licensed producer whose products are sample pressure-tested to sell ammunition legally.

I agree. It's a problem. I worked at a very large gunshop for quite a while back in the 1980's and no handloads were taken in trade, ever. When they did come in -as in an estate sale purchase- our boss would let the employees have them on the expressed agreement that we break them down for the components, only. We had a inertia bullet just for that and would spend lunch hours banging apart people's handloads for the bullets and brass. If we even suspected a box of apparent 'factory' ammo was actually made up of handloads, they were trashed. It is a huge liability for shop owners to allow handloads in their shop. There is a shop in the city near my home that sells reloads they take in on trade. The owner says he makes buyers 'promise' not to shoot them and if they do, it's at their own risk. (Good luck with that.) ~Muir

Lot of factory primers , not,all ... Are gold / yellow

Most after market primers are silver in Colour not gold...... It's not a fail safe observation just a small one I've noted