Thread: 6.5 x 55 - Military Calibre ?

6.5 x 55 - Military Calibre ?

Dear All,

I've been reading some threads on rifle calibres and have picked up that some European countries (France in particular) are reluctant to allow visitors to use military calibres.

I am not planning on going abroad to shoot anytime soon so my question is purely academic. However I wondered - in this context, is 6.5 x 55 classed as a military calibre. I understand it was originally used by the Swedish army, but I assume its long since been replaced.

Thanks for your help.

As far as I'm aware Dovebob its still classed as a military calibre even though it was phased out in Sweden sometime in the 1960's I believe.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Thanks Chris - much appreciated
    Last edited by Dovebob; 29-04-2010 at 22:50. Reason: spelling

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    The two main countries that had this were France and Belgium. Belgium no longer does since 2008 I believe. France still does.

The actual French law wording bans weapons capable of chambering ammunition that can be used in weapons of war. It was introduced in 1938 by a left-wing administration that feared a right-wing coup!

So dates from before WWII. And yes in even includes those old favourites such as 303 British, 7mm Mauser and 8mm Mauser. So ammunition for the 8x60S is still stocked in many shops.

If you ask in any French gun shop about if they too will follow suit you get the usual Gallic shrug meaning "perhaps". Or "perhaps not".

The reality is that there is now almost a vested interest in France in some of the more "exotic" non-military calibre conversions. Many based on the 284 Winchester case. So you have 30-284, 6.5mm-284 and other odd re-chamberings.

The unintended consequence is that even if you were to take your 6.5mm Swede (or as many try to a 7x57 Mauser stamped as "275 Rigby") you won't find cartridges for it!

Commonsense really. Because if rifles in those chamberings are banned there is no point in stocking the cartridges.

Alternatives in France are 270 Winchester, 280 Remington (although mostly in self-loading Remington type rifles), 300 Winchester Magnum.

But the big fellow is the 7mm-08 in France or, of course, 7x64 plus 7mm Remington Magnum.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 29-04-2010 at 23:18.

Oh you forgot the .308 Norma it was apopular one to rechamber Mosin nagants too ........................................ and no I am not kidding. I have a 97 Kettners catalogue with them in it in .308 Norma Magnum,.