Very bright moon

Cyres

Well its typical get a call from a farming mate yesterday afternoon saying he has just cut every blade of grass on his small holding and I better come up and get on top of the foxs/rabbits.

Now was out Sunday night super moon and it was hopeless so bright and still didn't need NV.

Anyway 40 min drive last night and arrive 8.20 pm there is a very big no huge bright moon just above the horizon, shaddows as we walk up the track to the first field and charlie clocked us as we went arround the corner. It was so still and bright might as well have ben mid day. Anyway got on this fox, buddy had clear shot but basil escaped. Not impressed, think .204 bullet must have touched some grass in the swath on route. Not a good start.

Up over the top field and we have two foxs in the field in front of us, but we are rediculously exposed on the top of a bank moon behind us and no cover. We crept along the top hedge and down the adjacent field but of course its got cattle in it. 3/4 way down hedge I clock charlie now going across field in the very direction we came from, we are now looking up the field in an effective spotlight and off sticks charlie is now skylined!!

This is going to be one of thoose nights.

Settled down in corner to wait and charlie then starts coming down the far hedge. I can see him in the thermal but no good on the NV. He stops under the oak in the far corner so a couple of squeaks thinking he will come down the swath towards us, but no off he goes through the hedge.

So after a 10 min wait and futile squeaks we retrace our steps back up to the top of the field. Get positioned on the top looking over 2 fields.

I clock another charlie in th next field working along the hedge. I can see it but my buddy who is just a fraction lower cant get on it. We give a few squeaks and it continues to come, its within 75yds so easy, just as we are about to get a clear shot when it drops into a slight fold in the field and goes through the hedge. Just cannot believe it.

We give it 10 mins but no show.

Buddy walks over to the next field and as he gets to the gate clocks a fox infront of him. It sees him immeadiately and legs it.

At this point we decided that we were not getting anywhere fast so decide to call it a night.

So moral to the tale is if its a very clear night with a bright full moon low in the sky and no wind then your better off staying at home.

Saying that we will be out again this eve, local this time just got to be out!!!

D

That's exactly why you will not see me wasting my time and energy going out lamping while there is a full moon about, especially as I don't have or use any type of NV units!
Don't worry though - "Patience is a virtue".
Charlie's time will come sooner or later and I'm sure you will be ready for him/them!

I aborted early the night before last, and stuck to daylight deer stalking yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get an hour or so tonight before the bloody moon comes up again. I'm starting to get the shakes after two days in a row without shooting a fox! Still - we're well ahead of our target of a one a day average, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much!

Iv been shooting a lot of foxs in the lamp over the last week in the full moon. You won't shoot any lay in bed

In my experience, the wily foxes stick to the dark spots when the moon is out. I've seen them run towards the caller - right to the edge of the shadow of a big tree - and then stop, refusing to come any further. Luckily, the young and stupid foxes don't know any better though!

Well Tuesday eve was aborted went to see Roger Waters "The Wall Live" film and interview instead, very good film but the Paris concert where it was filmed was quite different from the concert I saw at Wembley.

anyway foxing to resume next week its forecast wet and wind so good!!!!!!

D

Went out tonight, saw fox, cocked everything up, and it sped off. Grrrrrr. Least it hasn't been educated as I didn't take a shot. Ah well, next time hopefully. Can't complain too much, picked up a nice muntie earlier so not a total wipeout.

Back