How Many ?

chill123

I was stalking at the weekend and was lucky enough to get a left and right at Muntjac . As I sat in the high seat I began to think of the multiple deer I had shot over the years , I have had 6 left and rights at Muntjac ,a few doubles on the Fallow and I once shot 6 red hinds out of a group .
Any tales out there of when you were lucky enough to shoot more than one deer after your first shot ?
Chill

After a few doubles on fallow, I decided to think twice before going for the second shot when alone. The drags(s) aren't much fun...

A couple of left and right muntjac, and roe and muntjac combo a couple of months ago.

I think what is more interesting is the lack of reaction to the shot sound by the deer, I have taken both with and without a moderator.

One muntjac pair were stood together, I dropped the first one re-loaded and just waited hoping the second deer would re-appear as she had only walked off slowly into some bushes.
No more than 2 or 3 minutes later she emerged and carried on eating right next to the shot deer.

Obviously not as heavy as Mungo's fallow, but did begin to question the 'you can easily carry two muntjac in a roe sack' claim having trudged half a mile across plough back to the car :oops:

Pulling the trigger is the easy bit. Too true, after shoring deer (one or more) at a place that requires a long drag to the car...

Last edited:
Not quite doubles, but one morning on my 250acre farm bagged me 3 roe, one Munty and a fallow in under two hours...... Never bettered that in one outing!
Had triples of fallow, doubles (actually 5 in one field once) of roe, and several double munties, and one very memorable double on stags when having shot the first beast I was just about to make the first cut of the gralloch when another even bigger stag charged straight for me....... Rifle was up in a very fluttery heartbeat, and the stag was down...... About 30 yards off me.....

A few doubles with roe, sika and fallow and a triple with sika and reds.

Once had a line of sika jump out from a wood...a hind followed by 4 prickets....she went on and I dropped the 1st , 2nd and 3rd pricket...the fourth came haring towards me and ran under the high seat with me unable to get a clear shot!

The exhilaration of the shots was soon replaced by the reality of the drag!!

Had 5 or 6 several times on one outing and always wondered if I'd better it. Then one sunny winter's afternoon I managed to foot stalk 9 muntjac and 2 roe does all in woodland! I doubt I'll ever beat that with the smaller species.
MS

Had 5 or 6 several times on one outing and always wondered if I'd better it. Then one sunny winter's afternoon I managed to foot stalk 9 muntjac and 2 roe does all in woodland! I doubt I'll ever beat that with the smaller species.
MS

Pretty good, M.

I've had three or four Muntie doubles but the best I have had is three CWD in one morning off the same field. I have to say though, that CWD are hardly the most difficult deer to stalk.

Never had a right and left Muntjac, but have shot 4 hinds out of a group on several occasions.

Most memorable was on an estate on the west coast of Scotland. End of January on the hinds, lots of snow on the ground and we got into a group of 30 or so hinds. A good friend of mine is the head stalker there and he was lying next to me at the time, telling me which ones he wanted culled. We had a good 5 minutes spying the group beforehand from about 80 yds and formulated our plan. Necked the first two at a sensible distance, and managed two heart shots before they lost their sense of humour and disappeared out of range.

As they left the area he whispered to me ".....and the sheep". I fumbled for another couple of rounds (only 4 in the mag), looked up and said "what sheep?".

200 yds away, a mass of black and white, camouflaged perfectly against the snow and rocks was an old sheep. Despatched, I then asked why. He explained that the shepherd had died 8 years ago and a few of his sheep were still on the hill. Unsheared and left to look after themselves they were a matted mess of fleece and maggots, every time he got the opportunity he despatched them.

GRE_0017.jpg

Most significant was my first solo stalk, I had two young boar. I shot one and then her sister came back to sniff her a couple of minutes after. Very poignant...they were lying side by side with their noses touching at rest.

Alan

One morning i got 3 Roe bucks followed by 6 Fallow bucks so Nine deer in total and i dont ever wish to repeat it.

Due to the difficulty in getting/using moderators here, multiples on deer are rather rare in the states. Closest I have is when my son and I took a pair out of a small herd, me shooting first and then he slid behind rifle for 2nd.

However, I did triple on whitetail with the bow. Took the doe first then her two followers.

I once shot 7 wild goats in about 3 minutes as they were causing problems in the forestry & they wanted the numbers reduced. I found it really rather sickening as they had no idea what was going on & the group of about 20 would just run about in the valley then stop & I'd take one, then run about in circles again, stop & I'd take another. This was with an un-moderated rifle. It took 10 years before I could smell feta cheese without starting to gag.

Due to the difficulty in getting/using moderators here, multiples on deer are rather rare in the states.

I'm not sure a moderator makes that much difference - all the doubles I've had on fallow have been unmoderated (.308), and quite often I could have taken more. Particularly if they don't know where the shot came from and there's a hill or treeline behind, so the echo bounces back at them, they often seem to run toward rather than away from the shooter.

I've also often shot a single roe deer out of a family group, and the others have startled, but not gone very far - they tend to only bolt when they see you.

Once when I was young and stupid we went up the Glen in the BV206. Myself, headstalker and the under stalker on the estate. It was january and deep snow. Two thirds of the way up we spotted two hinds with two calfs all pretty sorry for themselves about 15o yards off the track. "We will drop you here, take them and we will go an come back for you - oh and don't worry about the dragging that scruffy calf downshoot, and if see anymore shoot them as well". They were taking off 300 beasts that year.

Trusty Heym SR20 in 243 and at that point it had a leis 4x32 scope. I let the others drive off and being a good sportsman got myself all of five yards off the road and lay down on a rocky knoll. The snow was pretty deep, I was in their full view so bang, down went first hind, bang down went second, bang down one calf, bang down went second calf, another hind without a calf moved from behind a noll - lined up on it and squeeze - just a click - I had only loaded four into the mag. Bugger - and it trotted off before I could reload.

I then realised the error of my ways. I started walking up towards them - 150 yards away up a 30 plus degree incline - the snow had a lot of freeze thaw - was waste deep, but strong enough in places to hold your weight, and in others you went straight up to your waist. It took a good two plus hours to get the hinds and calfs gralloched and down the hill back to the track. I was knackered by the end of it. Dragging hinds through concrete like snow, even if it is downhill is very hard work.

Just as I was finishing the other two got back in the snow cat with several beasts already in the back - we were in the larder till late.

I have done a true right and left with the combination gun. I had both barrels loaded. A fox came trotting down the fence towards me and shot him with the shot barrel at 20 yards. At the sound of shot a Row Buck stood up from a large patch of docks - and down he went to the rifle barrel.

5 red hinds/calves and 6 red hinds/calves on that second occasion my son shot 5 at same time as they were nicely strung out and we started at opposite ends. As you would expect with moderators. So 11 in the space of about 30 seconds. It was 10am and that was it for the day spending rest of day gralloching and getting them off the hill

Back