Using my FAC Moderator on a non FAC PCP Air rifle

Brno2e

Hi, can i use my SAK moderator on my new PCP air rifle, it fits and damps the noise down but am i ok to use it legally ?

Ask your feo, but I would think that as long as you use the mod in accordance with its conditions on your fac then you will be ok.

ie, if you have an open ticket and the mod is authorised for whatever species your shooting then it's ok?

i got told if its on your ticket for c/f then its classed as a firearm,also got told if its in the drawer its for air rifle if its in cabinet its a firearm,however you can walk in any store and walk out with a sak or others for an air rifle no probs if like me you have a couple of sak mods whos to say which ones which?the rules or myths about proof marks on mods are ridiculous,

Not sure, are the mods on ticket bound by territorial restrictions in the same way rifles are?

I was wondering the same. Then I thought "What do shooters who have the same mod for, say, a .243 and a .308 on a closed ticket have to consider?" I guess the ground clearance for the 12ft lb air rifle wouldn't be a problem. :D

i got told if its on your ticket for c/f then its classed as a firearm,also got told if its in the drawer its for air rifle if its in cabinet its a firearm,however you can walk in any store and walk out with a sak or others for an air rifle no probs if like me you have a couple of sak mods whos to say which ones which?the rules or myths about proof marks on mods are ridiculous,

Quite true, if it's on ticket it's a firearm (or classed as such).
however if your conditions allow it to be used for shooting rabbits say, then there shouldn't be a problem if you screw it on your (non-fac) air rifle and shoot rabbits....

although id check with your feo if in any doubt.

The property of any moderator that bring it under the control of S1 of the Firearms Act is its being 'an accessory to' a S1 firearm.

It is as ever an interesting point, but I can't understand how any moderator attached to a sub-12ftlb airgun could be considered in law as 'an accessory to' a S1 firearm. It would have to be capable of being 'an accessory to' more than one rifle at once if that were the case - and clearly a moderator can only be 'an accessory to' one rifle at once because there's only one threaded end.

I don't know the answer to the question, though.
:)

Last edited:
The property of any moderator that bring it under the control of S1 of the Firearms Act is its being 'an accessory to' a S1 firearm.

It is as ever an interesting point, but I can't understand how any moderator attached to a sub-12ftlb airgun could be considered in law as 'an accessory to' a S1 firearm. It would have to be capable of being 'an accessory to' more than one rifle at once if that were the case - and clearly a moderator can only be 'an accessory to' one rifle at once because there's only one threaded end.

I don't know the answer to the question, though.
:)
So I could legally store my mods in a shoe box under the bed rather than in my safe?

So I could legally store my mods in a shoe box under the bed rather than in my safe?
You tell me!
The moderators on my air-rifles/-pistols are in all sorts of places. They each capable of becoming 'an accessory to' a S1 rifle - a S1 air-rifle at the very least, and a couple of them would do for .22RF.
I don't use any of them on S1 rifles, although two were second-hand - so who knows what use they might have had in the past.

I have filled mod slots for S1 rifles on my certificate as 'no make no number', and those mods I do keep with the ammuntion for their respective rifles: it's convenient to do so, as I never need one without the other.

I wouldnt do it without an OK from the FEO. All parts of a firearm come under the legislation as mentioned above (a lot) and whilst otherwise 'without stain', Why would you risk it for a phone call and a confirmatory letter?

I don't see why it would be an issue it's not against the law to carry a silencer without a rifle and you don't need a licence for use on air rifle I know a RFD that's sold about 30 centre fire mods to a polish man to use on his air rifle after checking with firearms licencing

I have no specific conditions attached to the .223 Sound Moderator that I am authorised to acquire.

Yes, unless your FEO Police region has done something criminaly insane and link one mod to one specific rifle

if they have then ring them and get them to remove that fatuous condition

mods are mods
the only constraint placed on a mod should be a physical one
a) does it fit the rifle
b) will the bullet/projectile fit through the hole!

I am running a SAK on my .222 and a .22lr
also running a Weirauch on my .22lr and PCP .177 air!

Thanks, am on an open ticket, don't see why I should spend £40 on something I have already, the law on mods is an ass but I want to be on the right side of it.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't see why it would be an issue it's not against the law to carry a silencer without a rifle and you don't need a licence for use on air rifle I know a RFD that's sold about 30 centre fire mods to a polish man to use on his air rifle after checking with firearms licencing

Why would a polish bloke, or a bloke of any nationality for that matter, need 30 CF mods to use on an air rifle?

I'm sorry but that sounds like a bulltwang statement if ever I heard one, 30 x £100 = £3k when 1 x £40 would do??!?!?!?!?

Back