Sika show NZ

Just out of interest has anybody looked in to the genetic purity of these Sika?
I only say that because the winning mount looks like Sika antlers stuck on a Red body.

Just out of interest has anybody looked in to the genetic purity of these Sika?
I only say that because the winning mount looks like Sika antlers stuck on a Red body.

I think it's fair to say the nz sika are a fairly mixed bag in terms of their origins. I have a very interesting book on nz sika, which goes into great depth of the different subspecies, well beyond the generally accepted Japanese/Formosan/Manchurian. I was also surprised how far they differ in appearance from the UK sika.

Novice

Get yourself a copy of The Sika by D.Bruce Banwell The Halcyon Press ISBN 978-1-877256-96-7 He goes into great detail although a few of the photos could be better.It also gives records of heads on The Douglas System of measuring used in New Zealand

Get yourself a copy of The Sika by D.Bruce Banwell The Halcyon Press ISBN 978-1-877256-96-7 He goes into great detail although a few of the photos could be better.It also gives records of heads on The Douglas System of measuring used in New Zealand

+1 that's the book I was referring to, just didn't have it to hand to confirm details!

Novice

The white patch on the throat is a very Manchurian type trait, as is the red/ginger colouration around the face

Back