IMR 4064 being Discontinued??

Muir

I was in the city for a few days this week and had the opportunity to swing into one of my favorite gunshops for some powder. I wanted an 8# keg of IMR 4064 but they'd sold the last one an hour before I'd gotten there. They offered me 8# Varget or IMR 4166 but I bought 4 single pounds of IMR 4064 instead. The salesman said to me, "You know, of course, that they're planning on discontinuing (IMR) 4064 as of March of 2016, right? They are making the IMR 4166 THE powder in that class because it's, you know, and Extreme powder, and it loads identical to 4064."

I asked him why IMR would discontinue one of their most popular powders in favor of the new comer, and no, it doesn't load the same. (Tho close; 4166 give about 3-5% higher pressures in say, 308, but with lower velocities than 4064) He said that I was wrong about the pressures and velocities and that their distributor had told him about the 4064 discontinuance.

I expressed my doubts but he stuck by his guns. I sent a text to my shooting buddy back home and he called IMR. They told him that they had no plans on discontinuing IMR4064 due to it's popularity.

So there you have it. Somebody isn't telling it straight.
If you shoot IMR4064 you might want to stock up? ~Muir

Whew! IMR-4064 is one of my go-to powders for the 8x57 and .308 Win.

But SR4759 is discontinued, so I grabbed some more of that, as it is great for accurate plinking loads with light bullets at the normal big game velocities, or 1,600 to 1,800 fps loads with 150 to 180-gr hunting bullets. Some of my good friends love to shoot my old Mausers and Springfields, but don't like the recoil as I do, and I young shooters enjoy shooting the big rifles without the big kick.

You didn't grab the Varget?:eek:

Can't have too much of it.

K
;)
I only use Varget in the 7-08 and 204 and i have 6 pounds of it. For my 308 (s) I have found that 4064 gives better performance, over all. Additionally, Varget is currently 20% higher priced than 4064.~Muir

I only use Varget in the 7-08 and 204 and i have 6 pounds of it. For my 308 (s) I have found that 4064 gives better performance, over all. Additionally, Varget is currently 20% higher priced than 4064.~Muir

Thanks for being diplomatic and not actually stating the price Muir :)

That would definitely cause some bad feelings in the shooting community . I use a lot of 4064 in about 8 different rifles . It's probably one of the most versatile powders out there .

AB

IMR doesnt have anything about discontinuing 4064 on their website. I hope it isnt true, my m1a goes through alot of it

Back