I need new stalking sticks

Londoner

I find myself in need of new sticks. I know many people talk fondly of the quad sticks made by Limulus here, but as far as I understand these are not collapsible and mine need to be. So, any suggestions please? Thanks!

I've got a few different sets of sticks I use but favour either a modified set of Limulus's sticks or the Knobloch sticks. Because the Knobloch sticks are collapsable they can be stowed by attaching to my roe sack leaving my hands free. If I needed a set of collapsable quad sticks I'd be buying a second set of the Knobloch & lashing them together; this would give you the added flexibility of just using a good light pair of twin sticks or setting up for quad sticks, both of which would work very well for standing or sitting shots. They are very well made & the legs have 3 sections, allowing them to collapse to a useful size. Hunting Solutions on here sell them.

It's not the cheapest option but it would be the most flexible. If you find the option of making minor adjustments to the front end of the rifle without moving & resetting the quad sticks (as per the Hammond ones mentioned above) attractive try holding the conventional sticks differently; grasp the front cross with your left hand (assuming right-handedness) & lay your thumb on top of the cross, your rifle on top of your thumb & the 4 fingers to grasp the sling & sticks; it should allow you to move the rifle a small amount left or right. This position also would help if 'bounce' from your stick/rifle combination is an issue. African PH's always seem to recommend your entire hand between the sticks & the rifle to soak up bounce. Might not work so well if you use one of these vulgar bipod thingies though.

John Hammond quad pod. Never leave home without them.
Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK
i have shot countless bunnies with them, well actually I keep good records so it is not countless, :D
they are good and they collapse which is why I also bought them.
Also have a set of these and find them very stable to shoot from, there's only 2 downsides to the unit and they're that they don't go low enough for a sitting shot and they need tape over the holes to stop them whistling in winds.
Service from Hammond is second to non.
Regards
Jimmy

I use the vanguard 2 leg sticks very stable and light

the legs can be shortened at the twist of the knob which is great for in the vehicle

also if your in a hedge etc and you want to take a kneeling shot so your not seen or there's a big branch in the way just lower the legs and off you go

you can't do that with quad sticks

Thanks a lot for all the replies. This Primo trigger tripod surely looks impressive...

I had my first encounter with one this last week and was actually impressed - currently I use a pair of crossed sticks but my feeling is that I will be upgrading to the Primos trigger tripod sticks.

One thing I did notice is that they don't seem overly robust and the stalker who had me out was commenting that he is hopeful of getting two years out of them by which time they will have paid for themselves.

The primos tripods are great had a slight problem with a set and Bushwear replaced them the next day by post. Great product supplied by a very good company.

Last edited:
I also required a new set of sticks this year butthought over100pounds for a set of trigger sticks was a bit steep , so a look on ebay came up with a set of trigger sticks by akah for 60 quid these sticks seemed very sturdy when they arrived work well and after 9 months I have shot quite a few deer fox and rabbits off them

I had my first encounter with one this last week and was actually impressed - currently I use a pair of crossed sticks but my feeling is that I will be upgrading to the Primos trigger tripod sticks.

One thing I did notice is that they don't seem overly robust and the stalker who had me out was commenting that he is hopeful of getting two years out of them by which time they will have paid for themselves.

I think 2 seasons hardcore stalking every week its probably good going. I wipe my sticks down to make sure fine grit doesn't get up into the seals and avoid dunking it in water. I've replaced the yolk with the single brace with two folding yolks. Can't speak enough about them. Whilst other stalkers are mucking about in the woods, I've already pulled the trigger, levelled it to my height and I'm pulling the trigger at head height.

Read about them here.

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=11042

You'll make a set of quad sticks for about 10 quid if your anyway handy at all ,get 4 plastic coated gardening supports in your local garden centre and 4 s/s nuts and bolts ,it will take no longer than half hour .

Another yes for the primos gen 2 sticks. I've just bought some and I am really impressed with how quick and quiet they are to set up. I was stalking at the weekend with a chap who had a set of the gen 1 primos and the the gen 2 are a vast improvement on the old ones. I'm a strapping 5'7" (they call me the skipton elf) and they will still easily drop low enough for me to take a sitting shot. If you were closer I'd lend you a set and I'm pretty sure you'd go out and buy some after trying.

Back