Wanted: Volunteer Stalkers Wanted

Kershaw

Just saw this on the Deer Initiative website.

The Woodland Trust is looking for volunteer stalkers at various sites throughout the North of England.

A great opportunity for stalkers with the correct qualifications and experience.

Robin

Does anyone have experience of the following woods and what deer species and numbers are present at Nor Cookspring and Owler carr Dronfield, Bitholmes Sheffield and Oldmoor Strelley Nottingham. Not far from myself might be worth a look.

Regards

DS

Before you get too excited .......

The skills and experience required

To be considered for selection you must hold the following:-

 Deer Stalking Certificate 2 or equivalent British qualification e.g. NVQ/SVQ level 2 units C49 and C50 in Game and Wildlife Management or St Hubert Lantra Deer Stalking Qualification. This should also include Large Game Handling.

 A UK Firearms Certificate including authorisation to hold a calibre of firearm which is suitable and legal for all deer species in England.

 Public Liability Insurance to the minimum value of £10 Million.

 Moderated firearms.

 FAW+F Certificate (First Aid at Work plus Forestry). If you do not hold the appropriate Certificate you must acquire it before culling commences. DI Ltd will organise courses early in the season for anyone requiring FAW+F training; these will be reasonably costed courses for your own expense.

Lead free ammunition has to be used too.

 Deer Stalking Certificate 2 or equivalent British qualification e.g. NVQ/SVQ level 2 units C49 and C50 in Game and Wildlife Management or St Hubert Lantra Deer Stalking Qualification. This should also include Large Game Handling.

 A UK Firearms Certificate including authorisation to hold a calibre of firearm which is suitable and legal for all deer species in England.

 Moderated firearms.

 FAW+F Certificate (First Aid at Work plus Forestry). If you do not hold the appropriate Certificate you must acquire it before culling commences. DI Ltd will organise courses early in the season for anyone requiring FAW+F training; these will be reasonably costed courses for your own expense.

Pretty much the norm for this type of culling on public frequented land by the looks of it then? Looks like a great opportunity to me. Good luck to all those who get a place.
Baguio

Does anyone have experience of the following woods and what deer species and numbers are present at Nor Cookspring and Owler carr Dronfield, Bitholmes Sheffield and Oldmoor Strelley Nottingham. Not far from myself might be worth a look.

Regards

DS

From my knowledge over the years, theres Roe at Dronfield with muntjac on the doorstep. Roe and some red at Bitholmes (Nw Sheffield? ) area with muntjac a likelihood as they are present only a couple miles south, fallow deffo with muntjac in the area at Strelley.

 Moderated firearms.

Thanks for pointing this out Sinistral, I do meet all the criteria and more so will be applying.

Thank you

DS

Hold a First Aid Certificate at Work after 2 day course cost me circa £200 to add to mandatory list of qualifications for FCS controlled syndicate vacancy (successful) but does anyone know how to add the Forestry bit on, without repeating the main course?

Hold a First Aid Certificate at Work after 2 day course cost me circa £200 to add to mandatory list of qualifications for FCS controlled syndicate vacancy (successful) but does anyone know how to add the Forestry bit on, without repeating the main course?

these guys do EFAW + F for £100, maybe too far for you but worth discussing with Jonathon.
http://www.liddlesdalestalking.co.uk/

Kabryn if you get enough guys together some of the guys running the courses will come to you usually around 10/12 people will be enough.

ATB TM270

these guys do EFAW + F for £100, maybe too far for you but worth discussing with Jonathon.
http://www.liddlesdalestalking.co.uk/

Looking at the advert it state's FAW+F Not EFAW+F. Normal EFAW is only a day but FAW is three days so I have no idea what a full course plus forestry would take (and cost!)

Has anyone applied for any of these out of interest?

I have only had a quick look but I think there are some really interesting bits of ground in areas where it very rarely comes available.

Hi pointblank and others no doubt,
Liddesdale advises the part f is £100 for a one day course on a Sat 8 or 22 Nov in the Borders area TBA

A well thought out sustainable solution that is of credit to both parties IMHO? :tiphat:

Also giving opportunity to more stalkers than is usual?

From a practical and experience point of view, those who do apply, may wish to consider the travel time of importance?
This maybe not only to be able give the necessary input to the task but also from knowing of the possible difficulty experienced on the ground from public disruptions on these areas?

Some people don't want the deer controlled under any circumstance, some ignore the signage for all sorts of personal reasons, this can give rise to some frustration from the stalkers point of view?

Of my last 8 outings under a similar situation, I sadly experienced disruption from people on 6 occasions, all friendly but sobering knowing of a 110 mile round trip to achieve absolutely nothing?

Not meaning to be negative in any way, just need open eyes to participate?
Still doing it though so can't be too displeased?

Good luck to those lucky enough to participate.

Shall be applying
Anyone know where to find large scale maps of the sites?
Alistair Boston's email address at the deer initiative is invalid!
Anyone have his private email address to try?

Back