Ecoli from venison 9 cases

sauer

Nine cases apparently all from bought raw venison

Experts advice say never eat venison medium or rare ....

******** to that !
Any more and it's ruined a good steak

Be watching this to see where investigation takes it and where venison came from

Paul

Tia will be interesting to follow, sounds like cross contamination to me. I wonder if the source was legitimate or back of the van stuff?

Any links to the article sauer?

Given that the products were venison sausages and meatballs, advice to properly cook and not eat rare is correct. E-coli will be on the surface of meat and thus the middle of a steak is less likely to be contaminated. But chop this up and make a sausage, burger or meatball, the E - coil are spread right the way through and thus needs proper cooking.

Should be chain of custody somewhere if gone to retail?

There should be, but how much venison goes into the food chain from less scrupulous sources, or from land that produces a very high density of deer - 100 a year of a small croft?

Given that the products were venison sausages and meatballs, advice to properly cook and not eat rare is correct. E-coli will be on the surface of meat and thus the middle of a steak is less likely to be contaminated. But chop this up and make a sausage, burger or meatball, the E - coil are spread right the way through and thus needs proper cooking.

Actually I hadn't seen the report that the products had been processed.
And of course what Heym says is bang on the money
Remember watching a food program and was to do with surface area and exposure to air / bacteria and recommended that processed / minced products were to I think 75c internally to be sure of being cooked and no bugs.

So my comment in original post regarding ******** to that was out of order.
Ignore it please!!

Steaks yes
Processed / minced no!

Don't want anybody else getting the lurgy from food.

Sorry
Paul

Should be chain of custody somewhere if gone to retail?
Would be difficult to prove anything as all animals carry this variety,, but no one knows what brings it out, cross contamination between carcass during handling and onto surfaces, possible to trace back to supplier, but proper cooking is the real protection.

That will lead to a fall in venison prices, even though it will probably be one of the healthiest meat available

I'm Irish and I wouldn't order venison in a restaurant because of the scumbag poachers who are supplying the game dealers over here. Do you think the poachers who are illegally lamping deer are taking the time to gralloch and cool an animal properly? Doubt it myself. And these animals are being processed and exported mainly. Most Irish venison is exported and sold to the uk so it's no wonder e-coli is turning up based on what's happening over here.

And yet I know plenty who poach purely for the freezer and have never caught any bugs.

Bad game dealer practices, full stop

Alongside this, watched a demo using a powder tipped all over food items like chicken, under the uv lamp the finger prints from being handled were all over the place, I have always placed supermarket chicken in separate bags, but have not considered how much cross contamination there certainly must be at the checkout?????

And yet I know plenty who poach purely for the freezer and have never caught any bugs.

Bad game dealer practices, full stop

There are some that will pick anything up from the farm, no hunter number , no cold storage days old. Some don't care.

And there are a lot of people on here who know nothing of the way E. coli is spread, must be poachers or bad game dealers how about dog men, travellers, surely it can,t be a stalker.

Back