Ratchet straps.

Boarboy

Where's the best place to get ratchet straps for tying down high seats? And what dimensions to go for?

I bought ten off fleabay. 25.95 800kg. Strong enough to do the job, cheap enough that if vandalised or stolen you don't burst into tears. Are these for guy ropes or lashing lean to to tree. Guy ropes fence wire and tensioner does a better job.

I bought ten off fleabay. 25.95 800kg. Strong enough to do the job, cheap enough that if vandalised or stolen you don't burst into tears. Are these for guy ropes or lashing lean to to tree. Guy ropes fence wire and tensioner does a better job.

Thanks Jimbo,

they are for going round the back of the tree basically. Is 25mm ok, or would I need 50mm? Been looking at them on e bay.

I use these to great effect. Remember they are to hold the seat against the tree. They do not carry weight. Two inch is stiffer so not got the same bite and infinitely more attractive to the "I'll have that brigade." If you know any off the telecom cable boys ask if they have any rope kicking about. The stuff they pull the cable through the ducting with. They usually bin it after one or two uses. Last thing you need is a rope breaking when the cable is half way down the hole. It too is good lashing.

I have been using chain with a barrel tensioner then a padlock in the end links, does the job very well, cant be cut or stolen

Lay-bys, if you're lucky you'll get a ratchet and a decent length of strap, or try your local agricultural supplies, I got some rated at 1 ton for £3.50 each

I have been using chain with a barrel tensioner then a padlock in the end links, does the job very well, cant be cut or stolen

This is a good technique and one that I have uses several times.

Be careful with the thinner rachet straps degrading in the sun quite quickly.

the rachets on the bigger 50mm straps are better the smaller ones will cut into your hand and you cant get a good amount of force onto them i see that youve gone and ordered the smaller ones now so try and get youself somthing like a old bit of scaffold tube to slip over the rachect to give yourself more leaverage

I have lashed sheds onto trailers with these. My highseats are held by these. Never had a problem. They are designed to use with these straps. Where doses a scaffold pole come in?

the rachets on the bigger 50mm straps are better the smaller ones will cut into your hand and you cant get a good amount of force onto them i see that youve gone and ordered the smaller ones now so try and get youself somthing like a old bit of scaffold tube to slip over the rachect to give yourself more leaverage

Well, ordered the small cheap ones and the hooks don't even fit round the box section steel on the high seat.! So, have picked up some 50mm ones from the tractor dealers.

Well, ordered the small cheap ones and the hooks don't even fit round the box section steel on the high seat.! So, have picked up some 50mm ones from the tractor dealers.

Keep your eye out at car boot sales, the "professional" ratchet straps go for only a couple of quid each..:)

I'm lucky, my work goes through hundreds of them every year, and as they get older, they are skipped, I "save " them...:) If you need a couple, and are happy to pay postage, mibbes a fiver via Hermes, let me know, and I'll get them off to you..let me have a PM if you want a couple....:)

Back