For a while I've been concerned (maybe thats not the right word, but still, I noticed it and it annoyed me) by the odd scuffs, thin patches and Wear marks on my rifle and shotgun. Both are old guns and were well used when I bought them, though totally sound in operation.
A few days ago I spotted Joed's advert for his CZ511 at what I reckoned was a good price. I hadn't been specifically looking for one, but I had the FAC slot and thought "why not?" Now, this rifle too had a few "character marks" all well and good, but there comes a point where exposing bare steel to the best of British weather is a bad idea.
I'd been looking at Cerakote for the 270 and maybe shotgun barrels too, but I decided I just couldn''t justify the expense on old guns. Especially not now there was a third one to do!
So I did some research, and on a dangerously impulsive whim I ordered myself a Duracoat kit. Duracoat is a 2-part spray coating, effectively a hard wearing paint (although I think there's a bit more to it than that!) The kit has everything you need, including a pretty aggressive degreaser and decent comprensive instructions. It even has a disposable compressed air sprayer, so you don't need an airbrush. After fully acquainting myself with the instructions and watching a couple of YouTube videos I took the plunge.
Stripping each gun as far as I was happy with and then meticulously cleaning and re-cleaning everything before hanging the lot from the ceiling in my cellar. The paint and hardener are pre-measured, you just mix all of each one (or less as long as you keep the same ratio) and spray away like your normal cheap aerosol acrylic.
I'm now eagerly awaiting the results, the curing takes an hour until handleable and 24 hours until reassembly, then a week to achieve "Full hardness". I'm sure a professional finish would be better than however my effort turns out, but this has cost me less than £25 per gun to do 3 myself, and seeing as they were all a bit shabby before I don't really have anything to lose! It might have been different if this was a brand new Blaser I was dealing with! At least they're now protected from rusting no matter how tidy (or not) the finish turns out.
Most importantly, I have the satisfaction of having done a job myself and learnt from it.