Thread: Sika / Red weights

Sika / Red weights

It may not have been the best of summers, but there are two knobbers in the cold store which were weighed post shot. A Red which weighed 69 kg gralloched and a Sika which weighed 25 kg. Both came from low ground, good feeding areas with relatively low populations. I would consider these to be good weights but don't have much records to go on. Any opinions out there?

There can be a great deal of variation between individual animals in the same areas, but these would be average carcase .weights for lowland animals

Lowland Reds with me at this time of year are minimum 100kg up to maximum 180kg (larder weight). No experience of sika.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Best recorded Sika weight for me in the Borders was 144lbs ready for collection.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

I think I may may have mistaken my terminology. I meant to refer to what I consider to be very well advanced male calves. (I have recorded red calves born in late April which I think gives them a terrific head start) My part of Ireland is prime beef country and Reds do well in it. A recent Red stag larder weight was 132kg and he was far from being the biggest available. 160 to 180 kg would be recorded in September.
    2 Sika stags from Kildare, which runs to the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains, made 58 kg and 60 kg respectively. These two had already burned off a bit of condition in the rut. A gross Sika stag is an extraordinary sight - a bit like a vietnamese potbellied pig with antlers! Having watched dvd's etc I get the impression that the Irish variant of Sika does not make the size and weights that you get in UK, but I am is open to correction.