Thread: 55 gr GMX for pigs.

55 gr GMX for pigs.

One of my working guns is a 22 250. I started loading speer 63 gr semi pointed pills many years ago after less than good performance from standard copper jacketed 55 gr pills. Most times will see me with a 270 or larger at hand, but there are still times I'll have the 250, & then you can bet I'll run into a lump of a boar. The speer's kill most pigs with well placed shots, but are still poor against the fighting shield on bigger boys. They are great on goats & adequate on small deer. I'm almost through the lot I bought a decade or more ago & its time to think about buying some more or changing to something better (if there is something better?). Are the 55 gr GMX going to be a harder pill & give better penetration? I have no interest at top speed loads, starting loads are fine, its a work gun & only needs to shoot "minute of pig". They are a bit less than $1 each so I'm not worried about the cost if using them in bomb ups.

Cheers Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

They should give good penetration as all monolith bullets do. With weight retention of 95% - 100% they should be more than adequate on pigs. Oh by the way I love my Sierra 63 gr SMPs for antelope in my .22-250. Great little bullet!

Cheers Mate. I've ordered a couple of boxes from the gun store & I'll roll up a few up as soon as I get the chance. You haven't tried them yourself on antelope? Are they a bit too hard for them? I've shot a few blackbuck with that 63 gr pill & found it perfect for them also.

"Men Who Stare at Deer."