BDS Northumberland

arbjob

I was a member of the BDS some years ago but let my membership laps. I just joined again and wondered if any members on here were part of the Northumberland Branch?

Thanks JCS,

I had seen this page, I know where they meet its up pastHigham Lakes on the right. I was wondering if anyone on here is a member. And goesto the meetings? I know they reduced the number of meetings, and are not asactive as other BDS Branches in the country.

Bobby boy on here is still a part of the committee pm him he'll tell you meeting dates
Ath tom

I have to say I quit the BDS because of the NE branch. The NW branch on the other hand has a lot to commend it.

I just had a look through the last BDS magazine, all areas and branches have a page with events and news Except the North East? What’s all that about?

I don't have a clue why there's nothing in the recent Deer Magazine for North East branch, It happens occasionally with some Branches , but any Branch is only as good as its members make it & this includes reporting activities to HQ to publish.
Get involved, contribute, join in & help make stuff happen that you think is important & enjoy.
That way the society gets fresh ideas & becomes more interesting to be part of.
Without it, boredom & other negativity can set in & the branch goes through a low period.
The BDS at branch level is run by its members - not by HQ.
You don't need to be high & mighty to contribute.

Ian

Not just the BDS, BASC are the same in this area, you're better off travelling over the border and joining the Scottish equivalents

We have had a lot of changes to the running of the NE branch of the BDS, and in it's currant format we only meet 6 times a year due to poor attendances and general apathy of members not willing to travel to the Highlander pub, as it's past ponteland and a good distance for a lot of Durham tyneside and Darlington members, so we decided to take it out and around the region and at our last meeting at delves lane nr Consett we had over 30 members attend an excellent night with a talk on different firearms used over the last 100 years,
On my position i was NE branch secretary till 2014 but left due to work commitments and Norman Ball is in that post now with Iain Smailes as chairman,
i will post on here the next meeting date and location if you wish to meet up and see what's going on.
Not everyone on here seems to like what we do but, hey ho,,,, you cant please everyone.
bob

Last edited:
I don't have a clue why there's nothing in the recent Deer Magazine for North East branch, It happens occasionally with some Branches , but any Branch is only as good as its members make it & this includes reporting activities to HQ to publish.
Get involved, contribute, join in & help make stuff happen that you think is important & enjoy.
That way the society gets fresh ideas & becomes more interesting to be part of.
Without it, boredom & other negativity can set in & the branch goes through a low period.
The BDS at branch level is run by its members - not by HQ.
You don't need to be high & mighty to contribute.

Ian

+1 absolutely correct

To say BASC do nothing in the NE is wrong, we have had 18 events so far in 2015 in the NE, 4 deer related and three more planned up to Christmas

Our regional office is in the NE so please get in touch with them - visitors and calls always welcome, as others have said, we are only as strong as our members so lets work together!

To say BASC do nothing in the NE is wrong, we have had 18 events so far in 2015 in the NE, 4 deer related and three more planned up to Christmas

Our regional office is in the NE so please get in touch with them - visitors and calls always welcome, as others have said, we are only as strong as our members so lets work together!

+1 on that - I will continue to be a member and actively encourage people to join.

I never said NE, I said Northumberland, other than Greenlee doing DSC1 and carcass handling not a lot goes on. I know its apathy of membership, I had to travel to the lakes for my last course with the DI, he'd also given up on preaching to empty classrooms

My mistake, DSC1, carcass handling and a dinner, are there any plans to run any courses in the future?

Have a chat with the Northern team - BASC Northern, 1 Shawwell Business Centre, Stagshaw Road, Corbridge, Northumberland NE45 5PE
Tel: 01434 632297 northern@basc.org.uk

Well top marks for a speedy reply on a Saturday

Thanks for your email.
It depends on what you mean by "educational" courses. We have an introduction to wildfowling event for young shots coming up soon at Lindisfarne, and we also have a shotgun safety officer's course later this month (albeit that is on Teesside). We have just done two clay shooting taster events for students at Steve Smith's ground, near Dinnington. We have also held two young shots days in Northumberland this year. In fact, we have done a lot of young shots stuff in Northumberland, we are hoping to do a conservation project at Lindisfarne (where, as you may know, we run the wildfowling permit scheme).
As it happens, next week we are planning our activities for 2016. There are bound to be some adult courses based in Northumberland, in addition to the five or six deer things we do. For example, we are thinking of holding a safe shot assessment course, perhaps tagged on to another event. The training course programme will be published in the January edition of our magazine, though the bulk of our events - as opposed to courses - will be posted on our regional website pages and facebook. This covers dinners, shows, etc (we always attend Northumberland County Show, for example).
If there is any sort of course or event you are keen on, please give me a call on 01434 632 297. Always interested in member's views! Or drop round to our Corbridge office for a coffee (best to ring first, as we are often out visiting members)

Kind regards
Alasdair Mitchell
Regional Director Northern

But as I've already said, other than the courses by Greenlee, none are run in Northumberland, perhaps next years list will be better, please don't take this as a BASC bashing post, its not, BDS, NGO, DI are all the same and for the same reason, if you search through your colleagues posts in training he even comfirms it, courses aren't run due to poor/non attendance. Catch 22, don't put courses on as people don't attend-people can't attend courses that aren't put on.
Thanks for your input

Back