Tikka/Sako or other?

ChesterP

I know that both come under the Beretta ownership umbrella, but is there really a lot of difference between the two brands at say entry-level these days?

I may have another slot coming up in .308 which will be used for stalking and target (I know..Jack of all trades!) and was going to look at a used Sako (75 Varmint or similar) but had a look at an A7 Roughtec at my local RFDs. For a heavy rifle, it was also very nicely balanced and even with a mod and low profile scope wouldn't overly top the scales as a stalking rifle, perhaps coming out at 11 to 11.5 lbs all in (not what you'd want hill stalking but ok for woodland stalking). Heavy barrel (I prefer heavier barrelled rifles), bedded Ali-chassis stock, nice action, good trigger. Around the £1100 mark. Looked at a new T3, and I know they're popular but it didn't do a lot for me as it didn't feel as nicely balanced, it felt cheaper finished plus the extra expense of optilocs would raise the price to almost A7 levels anyway in the varmint model.

I would prefer to buy used European but one model from over the pond also piqued interest. Savage have brought out a "UK spec" model 16 "varmint" which looks ok and is on the radar but for that price, a really good used European model might be the better bet.

Has anyone any experience of ownership and use of the Roughtec or Savage model 16? I have plenty of feedback on the Tikka which by all accounts is a decent enough rifle albeit one where there are rough edges associated with budget. They're the sort of thing that would niggle with me after a while though and as mentioned, I didn't like the balance.

It sounds as though you've already decided against the Tikka,so you've already narrowed it down,although the number of T3s sold,speaks for itself
. I've never used either of the other 2 mentioned,but Sako seem are very well thought of,I have a hankering for a 75 myself,so that would be my advice,especially if you've already handled one and like the feel of it. Also,I would be wary of buying a Savage,I don't know about this model,but some also have the reputation of being a little rough around the edges and possibly need some work on the trigger,something that is rarely.if ever ,said about the Sako.
Good luck with whichever you choose.

Stay well away from the A7, nothing but grief, sent mine back in the end as the mounting screws kept working loose.no matter what. And this is not an isolated case. If you search the forum on the A7 the discussion is well documented. In the end I went for a Tikka in 308 as a stop gap until something "better" came along, in terms of accuracy can't fault it.

bryn

Tikkas are rough? Not likely. I have 4 of them and they are better finished them most Savages or Remingtons. Tikka and SAKO use the same barrel. According to SAKO there is no difference in barrel blanks used and fit to their respective actions. I'd say get a Tikka and put the extra money into good glass, reloading gear, etc.

Next month i'm going to be winter hunting in some rugged mountain territory, far from any pavement. I'll have my infallible Tikka 7-08 on my shoulder.~Muir

Wouldn't have a savage
Seen 2 that had the holes for bases in top of action drilled & tapped out of line to an extent that to zero a scope it was right at the end of its clicks in one direction and still 3/4" off zero

Heard of others same too.... Now for a company that size to have that QC is not on

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciated.

Well that's the Savage crossed off the list. The model 16 Varmint had piqued my interest but a little digging and it isn't hard to start finding "issues" reported from owners. I have spoken to a few owners of the Browning X-bolt and they unreservedly love them, so as I want to buy once, and buy wisely, I will look into those as well.

After speaking with a few owners, having the opportunity to handle a few more, and receiving LOTs of feedback about teething issues with the Roughtecs, the Tikka T3 seems to get the most praise and I can overlook the plastic bits and bobs and concentrate on what it seems to do best does best, which is shoot well, so wont discount it at all. Far from it in fact. The feedback on the A7 is that some have had issues with rounds not ejecting properly, mounting screws coming lose, and in some cases, loctiting them not solving the issue, chocolate mounts (alloy) so need binning and decent steel ones fitted, plus a few other gripes. It may be entry level, but it sure isn't cheap financially! It's off the list.

One thing that appeals about the T3 is its popularity means plenty of after-market bits and bobs, including quality KRG stocks which are lightweight (stalking) and make for a cracking target stock too. A good used Sako model 75, if one comes up, would be worth a look at too.

Thanks again to those who've responded. I'll update when I make a decision but have been biding my time for a few months now, and just want to look and handle as many as I can. One thing I've learnt, is that it's much easier with a larger budget but at around the £1000 mark, new, it is more of an ask, but there are more happier T3 owners out there it seems than just about anything else at the budget. There's a reason for that.

Hi,

i have both tikka varmint and Sako varmint rifles.

which would I choose... the Sako hands down, better quality by far. Which shoots better... neither they are both ragged hole shooters. Is the Sako worth the extra, most definitely.

The main let down on the tikka for me is the action and stock, the stock has a very mass produced hollow feel to it, far inferior to my cheap CZ hmr synthetic stock. The action is sloppy, and one size so big on smaller shells, as a tool it's spot on.

Hi,

i have both tikka varmint and Sako varmint rifles.

which would I choose... the Sako hands down, better quality by far. Which shoots better... neither they are both ragged hole shooters. Is the Sako worth the extra, most definitely.

The main let down on the tikka for me is the action and stock, the stock has a very mass produced hollow feel to it, far inferior to my cheap CZ hmr synthetic stock. The action is sloppy, and one size so big on smaller shells, as a tool it's spot on.

Sloppy? Sloppy?? Like.... Ruger sloppy? Or Remington sloppy? Mauser 98 (CZ, BRNO, BSA, Parker Hale) sloppy???:eek:
I don't think you've been all the way around the shooting block if you think a Tikka is "sloppy".;)~Muir

In response to post #7 I'll be visiting RFDs stocking both so will have a very close look, but T3s can be re-stocked easily enough if the stock isn't to personal liking. Whilst I prefer a classic wooden stock, practicality and use for my purposes means synthetic or laminated of some variety might be more practical.

It's funny but for every one opinion on the A7 which denigrates it, there's another which praises it (assuming foxyrich you have the A7 or was it the 85 varmint?). My experience is limited with those rifles as I haven't shot one so I only have the experience of owners to guide me, that and handling the things. My first choice of rifle is way outside my price range, and in this case, I want to buy new, not used, as it'll get as much target use as stalking (probably more in truth), so I'm sort of limited to the usual suspects. I think, personally, that Remy's and Howas are a bit over priced, and that Tikka and Sako (new) at around a grand are obviously compromised, but have better actions and barrels than the other contenders. If it was stalking only, I'd probably buy a Bergara B14, but it isn't so that really only leaves me with limited choice of Tikka, Sako and maybe one or two others (Steyr perhaps).

Maybe the way to look at it is to ask what needs to be done to remedy the A7 and T3 budget cutting issues (the ones that matter most), and if the answer is that it's something easily remedied in both cases, then the choice is down to handling as they both ought to shoot well.

The Tikka stock is lightweight because it is thin and hollow, being molded of a stronger, stiffer copolymer than most solid nylon stocks. If the hollow sound on the butt stock is a problem, stuffing in a piece of foam rubber will solve that. If the recoil pad is too hard for you, a pre-fit Limbsaver will reduce felt recoil in half - and you have still not spent much. The biggest problem with the Tikka in the UK is that the price is twice that in the USA.

Steyr Prohunters right now are on sale for about $700 in the USA. They are a heavier rifle, and a lot of it is in the action and stock, but the barrels and triggers are very good, and they shoot very well.

If you can afford a decent Sako then get the Sako, there's no denying that it is nicer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Tikka T3 however and there are more and more aftermarket components being developed for it if you like to modify your files. Not that it needs them.

Would love to consider a Mauser or a Blaser but way out of my budget. I've got to be realistic with what I can afford at present. At least with the Tikka, as has been mentioned, there's a lot of after market bits and bobs available so that a good rifle can be turned into a great rifle over time. Yes, it's good enough out of the box, and no, at a grand, one shouldn't have to be replacing anything but the reality is a grand these days doesn't buy much new. There's a mod to consider as well and there's another £300, plus ammo costs. If I plan to shoot it and not to just look at it, I'd rather buy cheaper and shoot more! I already have some decent glass in my collection so am ok for sights.

I own both

The "sloppy bolt action" is the Sako not the Tikka. It actually has a knack to it to eject casings properly unlike my Tikka which is more of a sod to eject without sending it flying off never to be reloaded again.

They both shoot extremely well

My Sako 75 III 243 SS Synthetic is very tolerant of ammo and seems to be not fussed if I am firing Federal Power Shock Hornaday Norma or Firrochi (SP) it still groups well on both 100g and 70Grain

My Tikka 308 SS Synthetic does a stunning job with Firrochi (SP) Hornaday and Sako Hammer Heads but throws PPI all over the place (like 6" out) for reasons unknown

+ Points Sako

You can put 5 rounds in the standard mag, you can open the bolt and push a round back into the mag then close the bolt to climb a tree, the synthetic stock is very tactile and pleasing to the eye and the ergonomics are good

Bolt is like a cock in a sock, its heavier than the Tikka, spare mags are outrageously expensive

+ Points Tikka

Light weight, don’t mind if I scratch it, cheap ish for the quality, trigger feel is not quite as good as Sako but its close enough, bolt action is very good, ergonomics are good

It really really annoys me that I can’t push rounds back into the mag via the bolt. The stock looks cheap and nasty

My Sako 75 is a rifle I lusted after and bought despite it being right handed (I shoot left handed) If they made it left handed SS Synthetic Id have bought 243 and 308 in Sako

The Tikka isn’t something I lusted after and I fully intended to put a GRS stock on it to make it so but TBH I am finding its pretty good actually (aside from the pushing the cartridge thing) and heaven for fend I might actually sell my 75 and get a LH Tikka 243 instead

2015-09-10 15.10.07.jpg

Great feedback Chasey, thanks for that. The long and short of it then...is the Tikka the one you reach for most? Shame about the PPI...I wonder what their match ammo might shoot like for target with the T3? I'd be looking for a 24 inch barrel version. I'd probably be happy with a Sako 75 for my .223 slot but for the 308, as mentioned, it would realistically get taken on 5 or 6 annual stalks but a lot more on Target, so unless I can find a mint varmint barrelled 75, that one's out of the equation. The A7 Roughtec was the only model in my price range from new but very undecided on that one.

Personally if I was you I would be looking very seriously at a new CZ550 in varmint kevlar 26".

Sportsman GC can get them for around £1200 which isn't that bad for a good gun and only a couple hundred over a T3 varmint and about the same as a sako, or less.

You say 24", but all the tikka's are 20" as far as I can see..(don't hang me up on that but I 'think' I'm right). I think most sako's are 20" too, not all, but most.

Certainly no way of you making decisions online, you need to make a shortlist of 3-4 and then go handle and ideally shoot them.

I've got a couple of Tikka T3s and a Sako 85 and have owned a couple of 75s.
I wouldn't say any had a sloppy action compared to some I've used, but easily the slickest bolts are on the T3s. The barrels and triggers are excellent and the same as Sako. Admittedly the Tikkas have a few less features, and have a bit more plastic, but that doesn't bother me in the least.
The Sako is 'nicer' but the engineering or build quality is no better. I also have a Steyr Prohunter too, but my favourite of the lot is definitely the T3.

Sako's are nice rifles but if one looks at what is offered in aftermarket parts a T3 can be turned into something really fantastic. Sako's stay mediocre.... We are sick of fitting T3 aftermarket stocks to Sako rifles, seems as if quite a few Sako owners are not so happy with the handling or weight.
Overall T3's are fun, everyone can customise a rifle to their needs easier and cheaper than with a Sako.
My next T3 is on route, 308 with a 20" 3 groove Lilja 1/13 barrel. I'll fit the 3 position firing pin safety (if I find the damn thing) which will replace the plastic shroud. Mag system, I'll choose between original, or alu bottom metal with original plastic mag or go AICS 5/10shot alu and steel mags. When I'm finished with that barrel I might turn the 308 into a 30-06.... any Sako as flexible as that?

edi

I own 2 Sako 75's in Stainless Synthetic and the thought of them being mediocre is laughable.

The Tikka T3 is a great rifle. The synthetic stock in comparison to the 75's twin moulded stock is frankly crap. It's feel is toylike compared to the 75. It has a plastic magazine and bolt shroud. The bolt shrouds do break. The Tikka T3 is a Bosch drill. It will do the job for years and years.

Really with the Sako it's just a bit more special, it "feels" better. I have never known a rifle feel so good on a cold, wet day. The metal magazines are solid, there is no ticky tack involved. Bolt and trigger are about as smooth as a production rifle gets. You don't need aftermarket because what it does it does beautifully and will do it beautifully for decades. My 25-06 is now maybe 14 years old.

I'm afraid I don't feel the same way about the 85 and quad. I think some values changed somewhere. When I bought my .17 I thought I would walk into the shop and grab a Quad off the rack but it "felt" like a Tikka. I ended up with a thumb hole CZ and have never regretted it.

So my advice is read up on the internet then go to a shop with a range of guns and pick them up and mount them. See what fits and feels best.

Back