Tikka T3 modifications

Everycal

Hi all.

Just brought two new tikka t3 lites in .223 and 30.06.

What modifications have people made to theirs and what were their views of them?

thanks

luke

Got a .243 and .308 both stainless steel lite versions. I've put both of mine onto a GRS stock with a tikka 5 shot mag and stuck a Swaro on the top and an ASE on the end!IMG_1586.jpg

Other than the moderator and swaro scope - the other stuff is just bling.
The cheapest and best modification you can make is to change the trigger spring for one from UK Gunworks and which costs a tenner - it makes an already good trigger even better.

Cheers

Bruce

I fitted a YoDave trigger spring which made it easier to shoot accurately also. Boyds stock which the fit and weight has helped my shooting. I also fitted a larger bolt handle and metal bolt shroud through no reason other than the look and feel better (in my opinion) and I nearly got an upgraded aluminium bottom metal but decided against it. I like personalising my toys so although they may not "improve" them it makes them more enjoyable to use.

The bolt shroud is definitely worth changing,especially if either of your rifles is stainless. I like the bolt handle on the 595,but I'd be tempted to change that also on a T3. I hadn't thought of a trigger spring but I'll look into that, the trigger is already nice,but if it can be improved upon.......

One of mine sits in a Roedale RCS II stock and has been rebarrelled.

The other I have full-length bedded into a Boyds stock. Bottom metal changed and bedded, too.

Both have the the metal bolt shroud and "tactical" bolt knob. The latter improves rapid cycling (and feel) which is only really noticeable in competition conditions.

I didn't notice any improvement changing the trigger Spring (trigger is good anyway.) Beware adjusting the trigger to be too light- I witnessed an accidental discharge from a T3 in which gun fired when the bolt was closed.

Before changing the stocks I needed a pad to get good, consistent cheek weld. Also, the "squish" in the factory bottom-metal (plastic) means consistent tightening off the action bolts isn't a given: a torque wrench will help solve this.

They are good guns out of the box so no absolute need to change anything really.

I'd just fit a rubber bolt knob and leave it as is :)

If they were Varmint or Super Varmint for target shooting I'd look at one of the metal chassis options, I have an MDT TAC21 on my 260Rem T3 and it's quite heavy but very nice to shoot with.

Cheers everyone. Some interesting bits. I can't get on with the trigger so may look into those mentioned. I know the current one can be tweaked down to 2lbs from 3lbs. Would that be too light do yo think? Have got a large bolt knob fitted already.

Cheers everyone. Some interesting bits. I can't get on with the trigger so may look into those mentioned. I know the current one can be tweaked down to 2lbs from 3lbs. Would that be too light do yo think? Have got a large bolt knob fitted already.

The UK Gunworks trigger spring will get you down to around 1lb.
I fitted one to my mates T3 this morning - took less than 10 minutes from start to finish, and he was well pleased with the improvement.

Cheers

Bruce

Other than the moderator and swaro scope - the other stuff is just bling.
The cheapest and best modification you can make is to change the trigger spring for one from UK Gunworks and which costs a tenner - it makes an already good trigger even better.

Cheers

Bruce

I couldn't get away with the standard stock so I changed it. Hardly bling!

On my last T3 .223 I changed the factory plastic to a boyds. Nice and also cheap £130 shipped and taxes paid.

I had Chris change shroud, bolt knob, bottom metal, as well as the trigger mod, hell of a difference. Rifle sits in a McMillan thumbhole now, previously a Boyd's, which was also very good.

I have a long barrelled T3 Varmint in .308 and I've fitted the Tikka steel picatinny rail which allows me to use my QR Leup mounts fitted to my scope. Great rifle. Trigger's good out of the box and stock not as bendy as most plastic cheapies out there. I've had it screw cut (23.7 barrel doesn't come screw cut or at least mine didn't) by Swift Precision Engineering. Not bothered about the plastic bolt shroud and would rather put the money saved by not replacing it towards a KRG X-ray bedded stock. Only other mod needed is a mod! Probably will fit an ASE SL5 or SL7 to it, but other than that, delighted with the rifle.

Back