Bloody clothing again

weeman

Ok, Christmas is approaching, I need a new outfit. Mrs Weeman is prepared to contribute towards one. Loads has been mentioned of harkila. I've tried hharkila, I find it to heavy and with mixed reports spending close to 600 is to much of a punt. I currently have and enjoyed wearing jahti jakt found it to be very good. Light, breathable and rugged never had a problem. So why am I after advice. Well like all I want sometng different. I've already ruled out harkila. There seems so many out there. I'm leaning towards fjallraven as I can get good discount at a shop near me. I've heard good reports about rovince clothing, looks good. What's it like please towards breath ability and weight say compared to harkila.

I understand everyone's opinions are different are different on a lot of things down to specifications.

Good clothing deals on here come up. Just a shame everyone is not a stature of myself.

Now a days, clothing appears to be big thick clothing. I find it hard to believe its as breathable as said.

A "new outfit" for which season??

My advise, season notwithstanding, is to mix & match. Layering is a key word too and of far more relevance than the brand. Only today I found myself stalking through woodland that felt more like a perfectly humid roe rut August morning than October so soaked was I in sweat even after shedding an Arktis "hot climate shirt" in DPM that I use as a lightweight jacket over a Paramo Mountain Vent Pull-On.

K

You beat me to it Dz... Arguably the best kit money can buy.. The most breathable, the best engineered, the best built and the most innovative and thought through designs... Their layering systems are amazing.. Light, packable, as breathable as is available with current fabric technology, tough... and the camo, whilst functional actually looks good too (you don't look like a poacher as with some types of photographic camo out there!! lol) Designed by hunters fron the ground up for hunters in some of the harshest environments on the planet!

The ONLY negative with Kuiu is the fact that you can only get it direct from Kuiu in the states... however, if you follow their sizing guide to the letter, you wont go far wrong...

Amazing products, amazing company and, for what you get, damned good prices too!!!

Got quite a bit of their gear now so if you want any real world help and advice from someone who uses the stuff just ask :thumb:

If you are after Fjallraven keep an eye on some of the online retailers such as Exxpozed.com and Trekkin.com. They have special offers on different products from time to time and you can pick up the Fjallraven hunting jackets at good prices: i.e. the best price I've seen on the Bjorn jacket was £190 compared to £325 rrp from the Fjallraven shop.

I've got that jacket and it's just about right for UK conditions on it's own and with a light polartec fleece layer is toasty when it gets a bit chilly. Like all Scandinavian jackets you can size down for a good fit.

If you don't mind last year's styles try the polish Ebay seller superoutlet15: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/superoutlet15?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

If you are after Fjallraven keep an eye on some of the online retailers such as Exxpozed.com and Trekkin.com. They have special offers on different products from time to time and you can pick up the Fjallraven hunting jackets at good prices: i.e. the best price I've seen on the Bjorn jacket was £190 compared to £325 rrp from the Fjallraven shop.

I've got that jacket and it's just about right for UK conditions on it's own and with a light polartec fleece layer is toasty when it gets a bit chilly. Like all Scandinavian jackets you can size down for a good fit.

If you don't mind last year's styles try the polish Ebay seller superoutlet15: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/superoutlet15?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The Sporting Lodge (.com) sell a huge range of Fjallraven and run promotions regularly. Really good stuff.

Do you have to wax all the fjallraven stuff? Domthey do any other fabrics? i had some trousers, that without the wax just let the water straight through. And the waxing gets a bit tedious night after night.

Ok, Christmas is approaching, I need a new outfit. Mrs Weeman is prepared to contribute towards one. Loads has been mentioned of harkila. I've tried hharkila, I find it to heavy and with mixed reports spending close to 600 is to much of a punt. I currently have and enjoyed wearing jahti jakt found it to be very good. Light, breathable and rugged never had a problem. So why am I after advice. Well like all I want sometng different. I've already ruled out harkila. There seems so many out there. I'm leaning towards fjallraven as I can get good discount at a shop near me. I've heard good reports about rovince clothing, looks good. What's it like please towards breath ability and weight say compared to harkila.

I understand everyone's opinions are different are different on a lot of things down to specifications.

Good clothing deals on here come up. Just a shame everyone is not a stature of myself.

Now a days, clothing appears to be big thick clothing. I find it hard to believe its as breathable as said.

Weeman, you haven't said what is your main activity you need the clothing to perform form.
To be honest, I am surprised you mention Harkila from the get go, as I think you are refering to Just Harkila Pro Hunter. They do far more than Pro Hunter, but as we also note to all our customers instore when they ask for Pro Hunter, what are you needing it for? (For a serious stalking who spend hours flat on a hillside, perfect, for a shooter on a pin, way over the top)
Let us know Weeman and we can get some thoughts on the post for you
Andrew
Rugged & Tough
Rugged & Tough's Work & Country Clothing Store

Do you have to wax all the fjallraven stuff? Domthey do any other fabrics? i had some trousers, that without the wax just let the water straight through. And the waxing gets a bit tedious night after night.

Some of their garments, such as the Bjorn jacket, have the 'Hydratic' waterproof lining and I've found no need to apply additional wax to mine. Even the single skin Reporter Lite jacket in G-1000 Lite material that I've been wearing almost constantly this 'summer' has proven to be reasonably showerproof without any additional wax, so although waxing is advised for some products it's not required for all.

http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/hunting/clothes/jackets-vests

I am currently wearing some kuiu gear as I type, however I am awaiting the arrival of my French guide so that I may go stag hunting in the Alps, why I like kuiu gear for mountain hunts I don't wear it too often for my UK stalking.

i have the fjallraven Bjorn suit which I highly rate for winter use, not bulky and heavy and I use the Barents pro trousers in the summer. Much of my winter stalking is spent walking slowly in rolling hills and I find the the Bjorn suit keeps me dry and warm but not too hot. It is also very robust.

Some of their garments, such as the Bjorn jacket, have the 'Hydratic' waterproof lining and I've found no need to apply additional wax to mine. Even the single skin Reporter Lite jacket in G-1000 Lite material that I've been wearing almost constantly this 'summer' has proven to be reasonably showerproof without any additional wax, so although waxing is advised for some products it's not required for all.

http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/hunting/clothes/jackets-vests

Very nice traditional looking clothing... and I have no doubt very hard wearing (and heavy too at 1.3kg!) the breathability of the 'hydratic' lining isn't great.. according to their technical specs it is 8-15,000 g/sqm/24h (only 7,000 for the Bjorn) compared with 40-50,000 with the best modern technical offerings.. Wax that face fabric and I guarantee the breathability will drop to almost zero... Something else to think about too is that some of that wax will find it's way through the face fabric and onto the membrane where it will clog the pores and render the breathable ePTFE useless.

When choosing, look at the intended use, look at the environment where the manufacturer grew up... it's mostly about cold, snow and ice with most of the Scandinavian offerings rather than instantly changeable temperate weather that can go from (as it did for me last week) 5 deg C and chucking it down to 18 deg , clear skies and blistering sun in the space of 2 hours!!! So, as Cumbrian says... great for winter if you are not going to generate much heat (start to sweat heavily, particularly in winter and you are doomed!!)

You need versatility... a big heavy waterproof jacket will never, ever give that. They do look very classy though... bit like the stalking vid someone posted on here last week... the tweed suit made the realtree camo stuff look cheap and nasty (which it probably was! lol) but in a real world test the tweed simply couldn't compete with modern layered clothing in terms of weight, waterproofing, windproofing and temperature regulation.. it may well win on the breathability stakes though... So, it really boils down to what the intention is here... is it functionality and comfort on the hill or is it to look good in the town (cos the animals in the forests and up the mountains have absolutely no idea when it comes to country fashion!!)

If you want both then you will have to just face facts and compromise... Or do what I did and come to realise that there is no true compromise and so have clothes I hunt in and different clothes I wear around town..

Last edited:
The Kuiu stuff looks good, the jackets look to be a bit short though. Whats the import tax etc and can it be paid to them direct at the time of ordering? Is the outer fabric like a gortex coat or a cloth texture?

The Kuiu stuff looks good, the jackets look to be a bit short though. Whats the import tax etc and can it be paid to them direct at the time of ordering? Is the outer fabric like a gortex coat or a cloth texture?

Depends on the model you buy Paul.. the Primaflex and stunner stretch face fabrics are quiet and have a more cloth like feel but are slightly heavier (they are still lightweight compared with the norm.. my Yukon jacket, which is the heaviest they do, is less than half the weight of a harkila pro hunter,) the lighter jackets are more traditional hard shell like but are incredibly light (loads of youtube videos so you can get a proper idea for the fabrics) Most of the rain gear is designed to be used as a shell when it's raining.. I rarely put mine on now, much more comfortable to leave the rain wear in the pack until I need it.. The only real exception is the Yukon jacket which is a hybrid idea... feels and wears like a softshell but is waterproof and breathable too so it can be worn all day... incredibly comfy and the breathability is simply incredible.

As for length, I have never found mine short but then I'm not tall and tend to tuck my jackets under as I don't like my bum covered! but mine come to the bottom of my butt if left un cinched.. Bear in mind, they are designed to be technical enough for mountaineering and so are cut so you can wear a harness should you need too rather being cut like an 'parka' such as the Harkila PH etc..

There is no option to pre pay the customs charges so that will be up to you... the advantage is that sometimes you may get away with it! use this calculator

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

You will see exactly what you will need to hand over to Parcelforce or the post office when your gear lands.. don't forget to add the handling charge... if memory serves it will be £8 if it's small and the post office deal with it and £13.50 if it comes in via Parcelforce :thumb:

Last edited:
Whats the import tax etc and can it be paid to them direct at the time of ordering?
It's rare anything gets through these days.
If you add on 33% to the total order you pay in the states and convert everything to pounds you won't be far off, unless a finance guy on here says i am wrong:D
Cheers
Richard

Back