Which rimfire rifle

J0RD4N

Hi everyone new to the site.

just want some opinions on a .22lr and a .17hmr rifle. Just what to know which ones yous recommend. I was thinking about CZ or Sako. And which moderators and scope's would be recommended.

Hello! (You should post an introduction before the site-police nab you. :D)

You are asking a few different questions.

For calibre choice: What kind of shooting are you doing? What distances? Is it important that your shots are near silent?

For choice of brand and model, CZ have a lot of fans. They are a rock solid, reliable, agricultural item which most owners do some kind of trigger modification to. A Sako Finnfire or Anschutz 1417 (for .22) or an Anschutz 1517 in .17hmr second-hand would be my preference over a CZ new. The Weihrauch HW60 and HW66 models are well respected as are the Sako Quad.

There are quite a few good moderators out there for rimfire. If you are buying second-hand, then your choice might be determined by what comes with the rifle. Scope choice, again, will be dictated by intended use and budget.

So..... what are you actually planning to do with the gun? :cool:

regards

Ian

Hello! (You should post an introduction before the site-police nab you. :D)

You are asking a few different questions.

For calibre choice: What kind of shooting are you doing? What distances? Is it important that your shots are near silent?

For choice of brand and model, CZ have a lot of fans. They are a rock solid, reliable, agricultural item which most owners do some kind of trigger modification to. A Sako Finnfire or Anschutz 1417 (for .22) or an Anschutz 1517 in .17hmr second-hand would be my preference over a CZ new. The Weihrauch HW60 and HW66 models are well respected as are the Sako Quad.

There are quite a few good moderators out there for rimfire. If you are buying second-hand, then your choice might be determined by what comes with the rifle. Scope choice, again, will be dictated by intended use and budget.

So..... what are you actually planning to do with the gun? :cool:

regards

Ian

Hi there, thanks for that :cool:

its both calibers im looking at getting, mostly rabbit and geese. Yeh it is quite important that the shots are silent. Just for some of the area I'll be shooting in. It will be a few different distances. That's why I was looking at getting the 2 calibers of gun.

Ive been looking at them and seem a very popular rifle for people. Like the look of them aswell.
Just don't like the thumb hole ones CZ does.
Thanks for that. :thumb:

Do CZ do a synthetic light weight gun? Don't think I've seen one yet.
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like CZ is a popular make.

The answer is:
OB5.jpg

K

CZ 452 in .22

Can`t think of any HMR I would recommend as I wouldn`t touch one myself.

Get a .222 or a .223

Hi there, thanks for that :cool:

its both calibers im looking at getting, mostly rabbit and geese. Yeh it is quite important that the shots are silent. Just for some of the area I'll be shooting in. It will be a few different distances. That's why I was looking at getting the 2 calibers of gun.

Silent you say...hmr?!?!?

The hmr is a small supersonic round, no moderator will make this calibre even remotely quiet, it doesn't boom like a cf round but instead makes a crack when the round breaks the sound barrier.

.22lr is a quiet round but prone to richochet, why do you need a 'silent' (by which i assume quiet will do) calibre, is it due to close proximity of houses or the like? Depended on what range your looking to shoot at maybe an air rifle is a good place to start, or even a FAC air rifle. I hold both and both have their place in the pest control I carry out, I also have .22lr and hmr which again have their place, It's all about the right tool for the job.

Why have you decided .22lr and hmr are the right calibres for your circumstances?

If if you offer up some more info we might be able to better advise what might be a better fit for your situation. What's the land like, how large? Is it rocky hard ground or soft muddy fields? What sort of backstop will you have? What ranges will you need to be able to achieve? What's your budget?

Rabbits fine with either calibre, geese can be done with either but are a trickier prospect have you considered a shotgun?

Buy the best you can afford - my Anschutz 1417 .22lr is sublime and will never leave the cabinet - options to explore are:

HW66 production
Sako Finfire
Anschutz 1417
Sako Quad (then add the HMR barrel)
CZ455 American

SAK mods are fine for any of these and should run you no more than £40.

As has been pointed out previously - the .17HMR cracks some even with a mod and the ammunition poses some, err, interesting problems (Google or search threads on here).

If you want something flat, fast and accurate out to 220ish then a triple-two or .204 will not disappoint :thumb:

Back