Thompson Center

JDR

Does anybody out there use a Thompson Center Contender, Encore or Pro Hunter?

If the answer is yes and you would like to know more about Thompson Center barrels in new calibres, please get in touch as we're working on a deal to import these in some pretty exciting variants and want to gauge interest. In most cases we'll be selling each barrel with custom dies and custom brass.

Jon

Last edited:
Not too many here in the UK. Frankly, I think most people interested enough to run wildcat calibres want them on a nicer action than a TC.

Great platform with so many options but as has been said, not many here.
If you imported some Encore frames as well it'd be extremely handy.
Brand new frames are roughly $4-500 so by the time they're imported I'd imagine around £500 or so here. Bit of a bargain for something that offers more barrel options than a Blaser!
One frame and a bunch of different barrels from .22lr up to 600/570 JDJ!!

I actually spoke to SSK about this a while back and for one rifle with custom barrel, import duties, VAT, export permit, shipping etc I was looking at $2200 so ~£1440.
Very expensive in the eyes of an American but for our side of the pond not horrendous. Especially when you look at other factory (or semi-custom) rifles available in the big/obscure stuff plus if you fancy a new caliber you don't need a new rifle or donor action, just a barrel.

In the end I decided not to go ahead simply because if I wanted more barrels in the future I'd have to go through the import/export procedure again. You'd solve that issue. My only other option would be to get SSK to make me several barrels at $450 each.

So yes, I'd be interested!

Last edited:
I have two of the G1 Contenders: One is a dedicated rifle (5mm Remington Magnum) and the other a pistol in 30-30 and .222 Remington. Love them.~Muir

Thank you for the enthusiastic response from everyone! I've had quite a few guys saying they'd like a new barrel or a variant of some kind.

The plan is to offer a range of totally new calibres alongside the established ones that people might want.

We are also working on a long barrel target pistol on this pattern!! So yes, frames and complete guns will be on the menu.

I have my second Contender (number 1 went into the UK blast furnace in 1997)
I have 6 different bbls from .17rem to .35rem my 6.5JDJ is half moa capable.
The original rifle stock is a bit short for me though, getting some thumbhole ones made up would be nice if it could be organised in the UK to save all import hassles.
Martin

It's already in the works. Just got to sort out the variants we can offer, logistics and pricing :D

Glad to see the TCs have a following. They are stonking guns aren't they.

Begara makes slick barrels for the Thompson Center, retailing in the USA for about $220.00.
Thompson barrels with sights sell for $249.00 to $320.00, depending on chambering, blue or stainless steel, etc.

I've been shooting T/C's since 1980 and have had a wide assortment of barrels and chamberings. Admittedly, almost all of them were handgun configuration, but they were all accurate. The tightest grouping I ever had with a 44 magnum was with my old T/C 14" tube: it would shoot under 2" at 100 yards. The one barrel I miss the most? The 256 Winchester Magnum. From a 10" barrel I would push a 60 grain HP at around 2400 fps. It killed Coyote like a lightning strike. I still plan on having a barrel made for my carbine frame. For those not familiar with this round, it's basically a 357 Magnum necked to 25 caliber. Superb for vermin. Rifles will hit 2700 fps with a 60 grain bullet. 2400 fps with an 87 grain. What a sweet performer.... (sigh!) ~Muir

I've been shooting T/C's since 1980 and have had a wide assortment of barrels and chamberings. Admittedly, almost all of them were handgun configuration, but they were all accurate. The tightest grouping I ever had with a 44 magnum was with my old T/C 14" tube: it would shoot under 2" at 100 yards. The one barrel I miss the most? The 256 Winchester Magnum. From a 10" barrel I would push a 60 grain HP at around 2400 fps. It killed Coyote like a lightning strike. I still plan on having a barrel made for my carbine frame. For those not familiar with this round, it's basically a 357 Magnum necked to 25 caliber. Superb for vermin. Rifles will hit 2700 fps with a 60 grain bullet. 2400 fps with an 87 grain. What a sweet performer.... (sigh!) ~Muir

Yes indeed! A pal of mine in the US is shooting 357 Maximum necked down to 25 cal with 75gr, 80gr and 85gr bullets and a 16" barrel (carbine). Using IMR 4227 he's getting 2300 fps or so. Wild boar and deer go down like their strings are cut.

Any chance that you'll be doing some of these in some big bores? Like .458" and up.

I'd love a 610 GNR/ 620 JDJ. 1050gr at 1050 fps, yes please!

Any chance that you'll be doing some of these in some big bores? Like .458" and up.

I'd love a 610 GNR/ 620 JDJ. 1050gr at 1050 fps, yes please!

I don't see why not. If you can get a slot on your ticket for it, I can look into getting the calibre alright. It would need to be something they're already offering though, as a complete one-off would take forever and cost a ton.

I have a T/C Contender G2 in .223, great rifle, will shoot rimfire, (when you have the barrel) or centerfire. I wanted to get a .22 rimfire barrel for it but Viking arms (when they would speak to you) wanted silly money for one, so I bought a CZ455 for less money! I was thinking of selling my Contender and getting a CZ 527 but maybe a TC barrel is back on the table.

I don't see why not. If you can get a slot on your ticket for it, I can look into getting the calibre alright. It would need to be something they're already offering though, as a complete one-off would take forever and cost a ton.

Who would be supplying your barrels? Then I can check on their website.

Back