Which bolt !

tom

Evening here's a question for all those rifle buffs ,I have two Parker hale rifles 1 .308 and 1. 7x57 ,
i haven't used them for ages so the bolts have been locked away . We'll going to try for a fallow tomorrow so went to get bolts out . Can't remember which bolt fits which rifle !
They both fit each rifle breach , so here's the question does it matter which bolt goes in which rifle ?
I have now got the correct bolt with the correct rifle through looking at the photos !
But interested to know if A it would have worked or if it would have been dangerous ?
Many thanks
tom

two mausers same length will in most instances headspace almost identically which I've seen countless times with go-no go guages..HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that they WILL headspace the same, or the locking lugs have equivalent bearing surface, which yes, does mean it could prove quite hazardous.

Is the bolt serial numbered to the rifle? Ive seen several makers that put perhaps the last 4 of the rifle serial number on the bottom of the bolt

Is the bolt serial numbered to the rifle? Ive seen several makers that put perhaps the last 4 of the rifle serial number on the bottom of the bolt

That's the case with my Parker Hale, but it's quite hard to spot the numbers on the bolt.

Most Parker Hale rifles have the last three digits engraved with an electric pencil on the bottom rear of the bolt.

Failing that is there a photograph of the rifles? Maybe with you shooting them or on the website of the gunshop you bought them from.

Last resort is check your fired cases and see if there is a difference between primer strikes on the primers that you can match the bolts to.

Just like NCIS programmes the strike should be unique.

Lastly there may be slight variations in the shape and style or depth of impression of the proof marks.

Back