Big decisions and moral dilemma

Bart308

As I have posted elsewhere in SD I will soon be moving with my family to the Falklands and we have a big decision over the gundogs. We could take them with us and that means a long journey and not much chance of work. I am thinking that the 8 year old lab Annie is on the verge of being more house dog than gun dog and could enjoy a retirement out there and I figure the journey could a one way trip as we will be there for a few years. Thistle a 2 year 4 month old gwp x lab is the one that is causing the soul searching. She could come there and live as part of the family but will never get much of a chance to do what she was bred for and has potential for so although we would love to have her with us kind of feel it would be a little unfair on her. What do you chaps think, would a dog her age settle well with new owners? I am inclined to think that with tlc she will miss us less than we will miss her. Do you think that is better than life without the work? Or would it be kinder to take her as a pet? Dilemma!
I have posted an add in dog classified to gauge interest and see if there could be a suitable home out there but still not sure. Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

Take her with, remember a dog doesn't need the work as long as it gets the right sort of training stimulation, play with her using training aids which will stimulate her mentally and you can have be best of both worlds. She gets to remain with you, gets the mental stimulation she needs and you both live happily ever after, sorry but I'm a sucker for dogs and don't believe once you build that bond it should ever be broken.

Take her with, remember a dog doesn't need the work as long as it gets the right sort of training stimulation, play with her using training aids which will stimulate her mentally and you can have be best of both worlds. She gets to remain with you, gets the mental stimulation she needs and you both live happily ever after, sorry but I'm a sucker for dogs and don't believe once you build that bond it should ever be broken.
+1
Seems like a poor excuse a dog is for life ! It would be just as much of an adventure for the dogs as well.

Take her with you. She is your dog and part of your family, gun dog or pet ,she will get plenty of exercise and stimulus in the FI.
If you leave her you will regret it.

+1 dog is for life

It's your decision, I left my dog behind in the UK, when we left for NZ, she has a great life, happy as ever, great new owners , only advice I would give is, let them have the dog, weeks before you go and then you can be happy with your decision.
Ignore any criticism off here, it's a dog, not a child, and will take well to the next person who feeds it.

Two schools of thought. I think neither is wrong though. Most dogs will adapt well to any situation, whether that be going to the Falklands and having little opportunity to work or being re-homed.

In the end, it's your choice. So long as the dogs' welfare is considered and you are happy with the decision you make.

It's your decision, I left my dog behind in the UK, when we left for NZ, she has a great life, happy as ever, great new owners , only advice I would give is, let them have the dog, weeks before you go and then you can be happy with your decision.
Ignore any criticism off here, it's a dog, not a child, and will take well to the next person who feeds it.
Pmsl :rofl:
Ingore any criticism off here ,If you ask the question you may not get the answer you want ! It's only the F I not the moon.

Hi,
I just bought a 2yr 10mnth working sheepdog, been with one owner since a pup.
Totally devoted to me within less than 24 hrs, to the extent that I haven't had to put it on a lead at all when going about the place.
Quite commonplace for working dogs to change hands up to 3 years old.
So, I should say there'd be no worries about your dog settling down with a new family. You just have to do what's best for the dog, and I think you've already realised that it won't get the chance out there to do what it does best. At the end of the day, at that age it probably loves its work more than it loves you.

dont forget they have heartworm and other nasties, so make sure pooch is protected.

I was looking at a 2 yr secondment a few years ago.

Go with what you think.

ive just got a 3yr old GWP, after a couple of days you'd think he's been here all of his life!
Sentiment is very much a human thing, make sure that if you do leave the dog, it's to someone that you are happy with. I've sold numerous trained dogs in the past and you are quite shocked that the dog you have bred and trained for 2 yrs, completed blanks you after a few weeks with a new owner!

there isn't a right or wrong answer but I totally understand your dilemma

Yes the flight is a long flight, but its not that long - yes the dog will in crate for a good length of time, but the journey (unless you are going by sea) is hours rather than lots of days. Would you drive from south of england to north of scotland - almost certainly - flight would be the same length of time, give or take.

Its wild country and any dog would love it - lots of fishing and some pretty rough shooting and big beaches. Haven't been but friends and family have been down there / posted there and all reports are positive.

Back