Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallow Rut

Fallow Rut

Any signs or sounds of the Fallow rut ? I was out in the woods yesterday , there was a few bucks and prickets moving around . I found scrapes around the rutting stands. The rut normally starts on or around on the 22nd , with the cold snap forecast for this week it may start early ?

Just got in having been on the ground since 0630, no sounds coming from the bucks yet. A beautiful morning to be out though, sunrise was stunning.

The prickets have started to be a bit more playful the last week or so. The odd call here and there from the big boys but nothing really on the go here yet.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

In full swing here.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    In full swing here.
    And in Devon
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    And in Devon
    I haven't heard one grunt yet, wasn't out this morning though and it's probably coldest morning we've had.

Lot of noise Saturday evening, in full swing.

3/4 bucks grunting away the other evening and all the usual rutting stands have fresh scrapes, etc. I shot a buck and his stomach contents was empty and smelt very 'rutty'.
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Evening chaps, rut has just started here in Sussex, although it seems to be only the very mature bucks that are calling. Yesterday evening after setting my my trail cams I sat up and called, within 5 minutes a sorrel showed up to see what was going on but wasn't calling and was on its own. 45 minutes later after calling some more and clattering some old antlers together I had two prickets come charging out into the chestnut clearing I was in. Then finally saw what I would imagine to be a three/four year old Buck showed up after I'd called a bit more. It was the first rut in 17 years that I've done this with a buck call and antlers and I wish I'd discovered it sooner!

Hi Alex ,what call have you got out of interest ?
    Cheers tom