Thread: Entertaining the elderly?

Entertaining the elderly?

My wife and I have been asked to step in and help running regular Social Events for the elderly in the flats where we live. Apart from the usual Bingo Nights and Quiz Afternoons/Nights what sort of things would you suggest.
    There are around 30(ish) residents with an average age of around 75 - 80. Some of them have varying degrees of mobility problems, and (Unfortunately) a few of the more elderly ones have almost convinced themselves that they are too old to try anything new (They can be a little "set in their ways")
    We have a large and comfortable (Recently redecorated and refurnished) "Residents Lounge" with a Communal Kitchen at our disposal as well as some funds to buy equipment (To within reason)
    Ideas I am really looking for are things that will ideally be activities that encourage them to try to get a little more mobile (In both body and mind) and give them something to look forward to while spending time with each other - And of course encouraging them to have a good old laugh!
    Any thoughts or suggestions please?

Rabbit skinning, sausage and burger making

Yes cooking demo maybe venison of some sort, kebabs they cook quick quaffed down with some wine then a good sing song When theyre all squiffy !

mums place does this,they also have tea n toast mornings to chat over a cuppa and keep in touch.theres mild exercise class once a month,every 3months they invite a market trader along handbags makeup,gifts etc.they have a dinner in the meeting room once a week and help cook ,wash up and clean up.theyl have party nights with a DJ suited to their age group every 6months and often go out as a group to garden centres ,local places of interest using council subsidised minibuses.have a word with the council,social services and theyre also involved with the local Lions and Rotary club who arrange trips n treats atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Seen a program lately where they had the residents of an old folks home , playing with a Nintendo wii.
    The tennis the golf , movement nothing to strenuous and hand to eye co-ordination,
    Also had equipment that looked like just the pedal section of cycling machine , so they could sit in their chair but still cycle , wee bit of cardio.
    Generally it seems to go down rather well with resident.

Fly tying for those with better eyes and dexterity?

Good on you both for that. Provided we live long enough we will all be old one day. When (if) I get to that stage I sincerely hope there is someone like you and Mrs FrenchieBoy who will care to get involved

How about a talent night? I am sure at that age many will have some sort of talent they could show off. They have no need to be shy and anyway I presume they know each other well enough.

There may well be musicians, conjurers, stand-up types, tap-dancers etc. amongst them. Possibly a few risqué raconteurs. Just 'cause they are old don't mean they have nothing to bring to the party. They might just be waiting for the curtain call.

Anyway. Just a thought.