What's in your stalking libary?

Joshua

I brought got a copy of The Deer Stalkers Handbook and just finished it. Great read! I'm trying to learn as much as possible before my first stalk and found the book very imformative. I also purchased an DVD on Red Deer stalking which was very enjoyable as it's a documentry stlye format.

What books/DVD's do you own?

Josh:)

I brought got a copy of The Deer Stalkers Handbook and just finished it. Great read! I'm trying to learn as much as possible before my first stalk and found the book very imformative. I also purchased an DVD on Red Deer stalking which was very enjoyable as it's a documentry stlye format.

What books/DVD's do you own?

Josh:)
Joshua
I have so many thats been written by numerous authors I would be sat at my cumputer listing them for a week but without doubt my favourite bed side book is Working with Nature by Ronnie Rose, I also have re seach documents by him in respect to family structures of roe deer and forest designation as a Wild Life Manager thats no longer in print which is educational as a Wildlife Planner and Controller.

Working with Nature is published by david A.H. Grayling Shap Penrith Westmorland England CA10 3NG
and I think it is available from AMAZON
Hope this helps
Stu

without doubt my favourite bed side book is Working with Nature by Ronnie Rose

Here here. My farther bought his copy many years ago, I have read it and re-read it many times. Another book for me would be "Roe Deer - Conservation of a native species" By Richard Prior. The doyen of Roe Stalking/management/conservation, in fact any book by Mr Prior is worth a read. Also "A Year in the Woods" By Colin Elford, though not a "how to" style book its a throughrally good read.

As far as DVDs go Try and get some of Kristoffer Clausens stuff from Norway. Very interesting and informative IMO. Make sure you get a subtitled one though! I have been given some of the popular "Hunter Videos" (I think) DVDs, but wasnt that impressed tbh, the Highland Stalking job has some awful shooting in it!

Get books before DVDs imo, they last much longer.

Sam

Joshua
I have so many thats been written by numerous authors I would be sat at my cumputer listing them for a week but without doubt my favourite bed side book is Working with Nature by Ronnie Rose, I also have re seach documents by him in respect to family structures of roe deer and forest designation as a Wild Life Manager thats no longer in print which is educational as a Wildlife Planner and Controller.

Working with Nature is published by david A.H. Grayling Shap Penrith Westmorland England CA10 3NG
and I think it is available from AMAZON
Hope this helps
Stu

At £75 on Amazon I'm sorry but it won't be going on my shelf anytime soon.:eek:

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=506118&ClassID=133

29.99 at Bushwear, I'm sure I've seen it at 25 else where.

For those who haven't met Ronnie !!!!!

A real character, bloody infuriating to work with at times but a character with sound knowledge and complete disdane for b*********s and vegetarians.

Tell me about it I was a part time ranger for him when Bob Smith was head keeper in charge when the Wildlife Centre was at Burnacleuch Eskdalemuir working for the EFG before his son young Ronald became involved, Happy Days
He didnt hold the F.C in high regard either if memory serves me correctly:D

Last edited:
Thanks Fella's Anyone got a copy collecting dust they wouldn't mind parting with?

I would doubt that rangefinder! Though you may be lucky I guess. All the tea in China wouldnt even temp me to part with that book.

See the bushwear link above - I dobt you would find it cheaper.

atb
Sam

Roe Deer - Conservation of a native species: Richard Prior.
Modern Roe Stalking: Richard Prior
Deer Stalking in Gt Britain: Ian Alcock
Wild Deer - Culling, Conservation and Management: Andrew de Nahlik
Deer Management- Quality in S England: Dominic Griffith
Encyclopedia of Deer: G Kenneth Whitehead

Sorry Stu, I've read the Ronnie Rose book Working with Nature. Whilst not doubting for a second the man's knowledge and experience in the management of deer , roe deer especially. I can't say its a great book for a deer stalker looking to gain a huge insight into the man's methods. Although the chapter on his study of roe family group dynamics and the effects of various culling selection criteria was worth reading. The rest was mostly about his life and stalking career, and not that well written .

Mine is the extended and revised second edition printed in '87.

He signed it for me, when we had lunch together one day. Not only a practical stalker who knew what he was doing, but a true gentleman of the old school.

Back