Dachshunds Find Stag

mchughcb

I shot a deer the other week and it was probably hit a bit far back. I didn't have my dogs with me but I spent hours looking for it. Next few days the property owners were looking for it and unfortunately no luck. The following week they got a slight whiff of the a dead animal some 450m in thick bush from where the shot was taken. I went back last weekend and I had a whiff for a second pushing through thick bush but then nothing. Finally I was able to get back with the dachshunds and in 20 minutes they found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgmq4_WYmRE

To be honest people keep telling me that but I'm not so sure. They hunt with beagles and every beagle I've seen hunts, just some better than others. I think dachshunds are the same, mine hunt every week for about 35 weeks straight per year so they know what is required of them.

Teckels are like most working dogs some are better than others but if you start off with the right lines as with any working dog the better dog you'll end up with, it all depends on what you as the owner is happy with

That I agree with. I didn't know what to expect when I bought them as they were both from showlines so I was easily impressed. However the black one has spent the best part of 5 years hunting with packs and stalking with me. The wirehair I thought would have more hunt drive but that's not so but appears to be more inquisitive and likes to range out a bit more. Two dogs is better than one for my style of hunting.

Back