Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T8 or Muzzle Brake?

T8 or Muzzle Brake?

I am currently using a Parker Hale Safari in .270 calibre which have a T8 moderator fitted on. I am quite happy with except for the bulk and weight the T8 adds to the rifle leaving it feeling front heavy.
    I am soon (As soon as my variation gets back to me) having a Steyr Mannlicher model M (Again in .270 calibre) given to me (As a gift) which will be used mainly for park and farm deer culling and will replace the Parker Hale Safari. Noise isn't a problem for me (Or the people who I go culling with) but I would (Rather wimpishly) like to tame the recoil down a little and the T8 is again going to make the Steyr feel pretty front heavy. With this in mind what would peoples thoughts be on fitting a muzzle brake to tame the recoil down a little on the Steyr Mannlicher yet still leave it feeling fairly well balanced and not too bulky?
    I would welcome any thoughts on this idea.

Have a look at this.

gives you an idea of what brakes are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Have a look at this.

gives you an idea of what brakes are out there.

Thanks for that Jon. I did watch a few of that chaps videos, there was one where he compared a few muzzle brakes with a moderator (On the smae bench as he used in that video - Which I can't find on Youtube right at this minute) The difference was quite surprising between the moderator and the muzzle brake (The muzzle brake reduced the recoil quite a lot more than the moderator) and this is where I got the idea from.
    I have spoken to Dave Mercer (DM80 moderators) and he is willing to make a bespoke muzzle brake for me at a very reasonable price when I get the Mannlicher if I do opt for one.

There products got me thinking as well. I like the look of the T1. Nice and compact.

Found the video I was looking for and posted it below!
    The difference is quite surprising - The moderator made very little diffence in recoil on his 308 but the recoil reduction with the muzzle brake was quite surprising.
    It looks like it would really tame a big old boomer like a 308 or a 270, much more so than a moderator would!
    I would welcome your thoughts!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 15-10-2015 at 13:38.

I've got a T3 lite in 30-06. It's got a jetz compact on the front. Don't get me wrong I like the mod. Just thinking about another option if going hill stalking etc.....

Does anyone know what the ones that appear to be leading in this quick test will do in terms of taming muzzle flip? Personally speaking I find that a bigger problem than recoil with my 270. I like to retain the sight picture but even with a T8 mod I can't do it with the 270. If one of these tamed the flip, it might be just the trick.

I run a brake and a mod on my 300wm
    brake is much better for weight and balance but the mod is more accurate
    brake does reduce recoil significantly but my mod is a pes/mae t12 which is quite heavy ana
    does a similar job

what thread is your rifle?
    i have a brake you could try if you want

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what thread is your rifle?
    i have a brake you could try if you want
    I think you're aiming this at the OP and I certainly don't want to hijack his thread, but if he doesn't take you up on your generous offer I'd be very interested to do so. My 270 is 1/2" UNF.