T8 or Muzzle Brake?

FrenchieBoy

I am currently using a Parker Hale Safari in .270 calibre which have a T8 moderator fitted on. I am quite happy with except for the bulk and weight the T8 adds to the rifle leaving it feeling front heavy.
I am soon (As soon as my variation gets back to me) having a Steyr Mannlicher model M (Again in .270 calibre) given to me (As a gift) which will be used mainly for park and farm deer culling and will replace the Parker Hale Safari. Noise isn't a problem for me (Or the people who I go culling with) but I would (Rather wimpishly) like to tame the recoil down a little and the T8 is again going to make the Steyr feel pretty front heavy. With this in mind what would peoples thoughts be on fitting a muzzle brake to tame the recoil down a little on the Steyr Mannlicher yet still leave it feeling fairly well balanced and not too bulky?
I would welcome any thoughts on this idea.

Have a look at this.

Terminator Muzzle Brakes VS Ten Others - YouTube

gives you an idea of what brakes are out there.

Jon
Thanks for that Jon. I did watch a few of that chaps videos, there was one where he compared a few muzzle brakes with a moderator (On the smae bench as he used in that video - Which I can't find on Youtube right at this minute) The difference was quite surprising between the moderator and the muzzle brake (The muzzle brake reduced the recoil quite a lot more than the moderator) and this is where I got the idea from.
I have spoken to Dave Mercer (DM80 moderators) and he is willing to make a bespoke muzzle brake for me at a very reasonable price when I get the Mannlicher if I do opt for one.

Found the video I was looking for and posted it below!
The difference is quite surprising - The moderator made very little diffence in recoil on his 308 but the recoil reduction with the muzzle brake was quite surprising.
It looks like it would really tame a big old boomer like a 308 or a 270, much more so than a moderator would!
I would welcome your thoughts!

Last edited:
I've got a T3 lite in 30-06. It's got a jetz compact on the front. Don't get me wrong I like the mod. Just thinking about another option if going hill stalking etc.....

Does anyone know what the ones that appear to be leading in this quick test will do in terms of taming muzzle flip? Personally speaking I find that a bigger problem than recoil with my 270. I like to retain the sight picture but even with a T8 mod I can't do it with the 270. If one of these tamed the flip, it might be just the trick.

I run a brake and a mod on my 300wm
brake is much better for weight and balance but the mod is more accurate
brake does reduce recoil significantly but my mod is a pes/mae t12 which is quite heavy ana
does a similar job

what thread is your rifle?
i have a brake you could try if you want

I think you're aiming this at the OP and I certainly don't want to hijack his thread, but if he doesn't take you up on your generous offer I'd be very interested to do so. My 270 is 1/2" UNF.

I run a brake and a mod on my 300wm
brake is much better for weight and balance but the mod is more accurate
brake does reduce recoil significantly but my mod is a pes/mae t12 which is quite heavy ana
does a similar job

Both the Parker Hale Safari and the Steyr Mannlicher are 1/2 inch x 20 UNF threads. I would love the chance to try your muzzle brake if it could be arranged.I would be more than happy to pay postage etc as I believe that there is nothing to stop a muzzle brake being posted as it is not an integral part of a rifle and it doesn't have to be entered on a FAC.
How might we be able to arrange things please?

The decision has been made! I have just ordered a new Muzzle Brake from Pinkney Engineering. At just £18.50 (Including post and packaging) it has to be well worth a try. For those of you who might be interested you can see what muzzle brakes are available at that sort of price by looking at their web site at: http://pinkneyengineering.co.uk/ (I have to say that I am am in no way connected to Pinkney Engineering, just pleasantly surprised at their prices and how things look on their web site)
Once muzzle brake that I have ordered has arrived (Hopefully according to Simon Pinkney on Thursday) I will try to find the time to do a short "video appraisal" showing the muzzle brake in detail and comparing it for recoil with a T8 moderator and unmoderated using my Parker Hale Safari in .270 calibre!

when you get it you will be surprised at the quality FrenchieBoy much better than the Vektor don't have to be timed just screw it on and use it

Back