Tennant Farmer Authority??

"It would be very difficult to prove damage by Roe" you should see the damage in the Roe have done in a friends garden! everytyhing has a browse line on it, most rare species have been eaten and all in all they have destroyed EVERYTHNG! (although this is not a crop it is remarkable damage)

as for the status on tennant farmers, it vairies between landowners / tennants. you need to check this out and get written authorisation. contact the estate office if its appropriate or the sporting agenet if the land is let. i know that Duke percy keeps the shooting on his tennants and pest control is limited / undertaken by the castle.

Skipp.

Skipp I appreciate that Roe can do quite a bit of damage in gardens, they are attracted to anything thats a bit different
from the normal,and we all know about the damage to young trees, but I was talking about farm crops.
Roe will graze on wheat and barley when it first sprouts but only for the first few days this in fact does the crop no harm
they may be seen feeding in fields of grain after this but are in fact eating weeds not the crop.

They are attracted to Lucerne, but again when it is young and you would need to have a huge Roe population before real damage occurred.

The only significant damage to a crop I have seen was to a field of sugar beet.

They can also do a fair bit of damage where fruit is grown, raspberry's being a particular favourite.

Back