Thread: New to stalking

County Durham
    Blog Entries

New to stalking

Morning all. Just joined the forum and the stalking community in general. Got my first stalk in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it would be an understatement! I'll be asking loads of stupid questions no doubt so apologies in advance, but here are a couple to get you started:

I'm prepping for DSC1 and struggle memorising the season dates and muzzle velocity and grain weight questions. Is it enough to know bucks in summer and does in winter or do I need to memorise the specific dates? Any one got any tips for remembering the ballistics info?

Finally: Browning X Bolt - good starter rifle? and if so how about recommending a scope to go with it for about 200.

Hiya and a warm welcome to SD, good luck with your first stalk you are opening a Pandora's box for yourself it's a passion believe me, there no easy way to remembering the dates apart from keep reading them over and over a little help is that most big deer males come into season together as do the females think about it, Browning guns are good in any form and as for scopes bushnell legends sometimes come up on offer I really rate them I have 3 of them on my rifles I hope that helps Bazil

County Durham
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Bazil, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Welcome. You'll get a good Leupold 6x42 scope 2nd hand for about 150, or maybe one of the German or Hungarian ones for a bit more. I've heard good things about browning x-bolt's.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses