keeping the midges off

ladystalker

I find wiping yourself down with baby wipes ( unused of course ) before you go out stalking keeps the midges away , plus its cheeper than the sprays , it works for me everytime.

I can't say I've noticed that but I'll give it a try.
I alway scarry a small pack to wipe the odd speck of blood, regardless of wearing rubber gloves and being careful, that I always get on my wrists.
Being a mild disinfectant as well they are handy for the odd time brambles or thorns lash your face or wherever.

Never tried baby wipes, will try them though always have them with me. Have used Avon "skin so soft" for years, that keeps the Highland beasties at bay, well, for me anyway.

It also does wonders for my delicate skin!

John

I`ll try anything !!
Not sure what it is, but wether it`s Scotland and the midges or Africa nad mossies, if theres one in the country it will find me and bite me !! :mad:

Avon Skin so Soft have kept me bite free for years.

Its worked everywhere from West Scotland to Alaska, and from Namibia to Belize

You can also get midge suit's I bough a midge proof top last seasson for something like £12 from a local gunshop. It's very light so is easy to carry around with you when your out and about.

I HATE MIDGES. I have tried everything, including skin so soft, which does seem to work for some people. Unfortunatly I am not one of them, if midges are about you do not need a repelant, if i am there they will be on me.

Now if you smoke!!! Ahh no lets not get onto that subject again, although I do admit it keeps midges away.

Will.B said:
Avon Skin so Soft have kept me bite free for years.

Its worked everywhere from West Scotland to Alaska, and from Namibia to Belize

This is also widely promoted on the fishing forums by those plagued by Scottish midgies but I think there is one specific version/perfume that works.

Avon Skin so Soft

Avon Skin so Soft has never kept a midge of me and I suspect that those who think is does have either been using garlic or vitamin B for some time before subjecting themselves to the beat. I agree that some people are more prone to bites than others but suspect it's what they have been eating prior to the arrival of the midge.I have live and worked out doors all my life and nothing has stopped the midge from attacking me.

Have to agree with you there David. Skin so soft does exactly what it says on the bottle. It makes your skin soft and more prone to midge attack :lol:

Never worked on me either, face net and cover up thats all you can do.

I use something called Jungle Formula - sure I got it from supergrug a few years back.

Alcohol based and lovely and ice cold when you spay it on, doesn't leave a residue or smell that much.

I always wear a baseball cap and I drench that in the stuff, especially under the brim - that helps to keep them away.

I only use midge cream when in Scotland and then when its really bad as they dont seem to bite me, It must be something about having native blood :lol: :lol:

Anyway the all time best midge repellant I have found is Avon skin so soft, when I was up there samon fishing a few years ago the Ghille told me about it, I thought he was taking the pee, but when we had the Glens' inter-estate clay shoot and bbq the midge's were terible in the evening all the locals broke out the skin so soft it worked so well I have always kept some with my stalking and fishing kit since.

Sorry folks, I have tried the lot and the only way to keep Scottish midgies at bay is, stay in the hoose with a good 12 year old malt and tell stalking stories.

I always, and have for years used skin so soft. it seems to work but I don't really like covering myself in the stuff. I got one of those all in one slip over midge proof shirts, blouson, tops call it what you will. It has elasticated sleeves and waist and the hood zips right across the top. When you are in the car, the wind comes up, the sun is strong enough for whatever the reason the midges give up, just unzip it and the it just hangs down your back like any other hood.

Other than that Deeps idea is not too bad :eek:

John

The Midge

I've tried everything that has been sold as a certain deterrent for the midge. I live stalk, fish and camp in the highlands. However I've now been told that I should take vitamin B so I'm trying this. At the moment the midges have gone so I will have to keep taking them until next year.

Native Blood

Just to state i have native blood and the absolutely love me.

I have never seen midges so bad (or ticks) as i have in the last 2 years.

DEET is the only thing that affects them biting you nad obviously special clothing. I use both.

REPEL 100 or Life Systems 100 or similar. Some folk swear by SHOO and it was used by NATO until recently. Plus side on this is that the active ingredient is not carcinogenic like DEET. Was made in Dunoon Scotland and then the lab moved to Huntlybut they seem to have dropped the ball.
US armed forces using DEET and it was developed with them for the purpose.

If anyone knows where i can buy Shoo! let me know.

Marmite!!! thats all you need, mind you I do like it black all over, or is that something else? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
Anyway I have always used it first thing in the morning, spread thickly on toast before I go stalking.Never have any prob's with mossies.

Back