Roe Deer tails!

alasdair

Got my e-mail newsletter from Scott Country today.
Decided to have a look at the recording taken on a Pulsar Apex XD75, the link in the newsletter takes you to U-Tube:

it says
"Published on Oct 15, 2015
We were filming with Scott Country for a feature on thermal foxing using the Pulsar Apex XD75 Thermal Riflescope when this little roe deer came along so we filmed him for a while."

Have a look at the the tail on this "roe deer" - I've never seen one like that! What are we looking at?

Alasdair.

Expectation triumphs over examination. Anyone looking at even this image would conclude its not a roe. You can actually see the 'warmth' from the pedicles.

As per the others...Fallow Buck. You can just make out a penile tassel, the long tail and a glimpse of the horse-shoe rear cordal border. Couldn't be anything else, so a bit odd they concluded it was a Roe.

To be fair the caption on the video says - "Pulsar Apex XD75 Thermal Riflescope in action - Fallow Deer" ? Unless they have recently edited the title maybe they have just got a bit over excited when writing the comments? :stag: Anyway its fairly clear from the picture it's a fallow stag - not a roe hind, and definitely not a red buck or doe :D :rofl: Lovely clear picture mind you.

The caption on U-Tube has been corrected since I posted! The original caption is the one I cut and pasted, in inverted commas, on my original post.
However I suspect a good few folk must have had a look who might not have otherwise bothered and it does show how good this technology is getting.

Wonderful tool for doing your deer census.

alasdair.

Wonderful tool for doing your deer census.

Yep - just so long as you can recognise the deer you're looking at. I posted the first comment on You Tube giving Scott Country 10/10 for the kit, but 0/10 for deer recognition ... Hey presto! As if by magic the caption changes. :lol:

Back